The Perfect Mid Tower ATX Case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of opening a small business soon or in the near future. (Local Only)

I want to be an OEM, so I want a list of what you guys think the perfect Mid Tower ATX case would have?

I'll list my ideas below. Feel free to build on these or throw out your own ideas about what a computer case should have.
What do they badly need to implement?
What would you like to see on a case?

I'm thinking three or four 5.25" bays, possibly have those 5.25" bays adjustable down to 3.5" or possibly even 2.5"

Two to four 3.5" bays, + an EASILY removable hard drive rack, though not necessarily flimsy or anything, just easy to take out if you need to, possibly like slide/rotate out.

Two cup holders on the top of the case. (Optional)
A 200mm+ fan mount for exhaust on the top back of the case.
I don't want to include 80mm fan mounts in it, only 120mm+
I'm thinking options to house a fan amongst 3 5.25" bays similar to the Antec designs. Along with a front fan mount in front of the hard drive rack.

Power button options. Push button. Toggle Switch. Key Ignition.
You know, whichever.

Four USB ports on the front near the top or bottom would be better?
Along with audio + mic
Possibly ESATA?
I don't want side fan mounts.
Solid sides.
Though if you guys have a good argument for side fan mounts, I'll consider it.

Placement for a 120mm exhaust.
Removable side panels and a hole in the chassis beneath the motherboard for good wire management.

Top mounted PSU to avoid cord reach problems, though I will leave space above and below the PSU mounting area, just in case the PSU has top or bottom mounted fans, I'll like at least 1.5"-2" clearance for airflow.

Screwless bays, though I'll ship thumbscrews for optional thumbscrew design...

Optional Swivel Caster Wheels.
If not those, then rubber feet. (Non marking)

Dust Filters on the fans that are easily removable/cleanable.
I'll ship an extra set of dust filters with the case.

Now... Those are just basic ideas.
I'm really open and interested in completely off the wall stuff.
Like implementing copper pipes within the case to help vent heat out or something like that.
Or like sloped designs or something if anyone can point out pluses to that.

Throw some ideas around for me, I want to come up with some sort of concept.

So... you are wanting to design and build cases? Or this one for starters? That's what I think I read into it, so correct me if I am wrong.

Take a look at the features and design of the CoolerMaster ATCS840 and Corsair Obsidian 800D cases and start from there.

Well there's a part about this I left out, and it's the major selling point, but the Lian Li cases would not work. :p
(Sorry I won't reveal it, as it's a great idea and I don't want it getting bought/sold/stollen :p)

Asus was the closest to making a case around the concept I've thought of, but they ditched the project and started focusing elsewhere.

So yeah, I want to design/build/sell cases.
But I'll probably only do it locally, I don't have the resources to start shipping all over the world or anything.

While I will look at existing cases for guidance.
I want to know from you guys what the perfect case would be like.

Are you guys opposed to having wheels on a case?
Like swivel caster wheels?
Are you opposed to a handle?

What is the most important thing about a case?
Airflow? Looks? Usability?

What are the top 5 most important things?* Besides cost and warranty (I will keep costs cheap, while keeping quality high, so don't mention costs.)

I think the list is
1. Looks
2. Airflow
3. Cleanliness
4. Enough bays/slots/room/space
5. Screwless/screwed

Correct me if there's something else I need to consider.

Wheels and handles are OK for a few, but most don't need/want them. Some good solid feet on the case would be a good thing and not those glued on rubber things OEM cases use.

While people here would rate airflow number one, most other people would rate looks as number one. As long as you nail those two you should be good. Cleanliness (as in wire management and no sharp edges) is a definite plus even for n00bs.

My Cooler Master WaveMaster has four 5.25" bays and one 3.5" bay. I am using one 5.25 and the 3.5 is open for ventilation only. Four 5.25's would be plenty for almost anyone, and you could go with three. 3.5's are a thing of the past for the most part, except for being able to hot-swap SATA drives. I would put in a single hot-swap bay and provide a 5.25 to 3.5 converter if someone wanted it.

Unless you can set up a screwless design that really locks stuff in I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't trust my GFX card to some flimsy tab. Optical drives are fine to go screwless, but cards are a whole 'nother matter.

Actually, a bottom mounted PSU, a front 120 intake, a side 120 intake aimed just under the GFX card, a rear 120 exhaust, and a top mounted 120 exhaust would cover all the cooling needs for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom