Pentium M 760 vs. 770 Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddyn

Baseband Member
Hi all :)
My main question is whether anyone could tell me anything about the performance difference between the Pentium M 760 @ 2 Ghz and the Pentium M 770 @ 2.13 Ghz. The reason I ask is that I've just ordered a Dell XPS Gen 2 from eBay, and unfortunately I was an idiot and for the same price I chose the 760 over the 770 (looking at the Ghz I thought it was just rounding; fool me once, shame on them, right??? :-( ) and now I need someone to put my mind at ease. So just how much difference does it make?
I will appreciate any reply (especially from anyone who's knows what they're talking about!)
This is my first post, but I'll try to contribute to other people's threads as much as possible!
Ted

Well if they're the same price I would no doubt have taken the 770, however if one is more expensive than the other, they only have about a 5% performance difference which IMO is not enough to justify a higher price

You will notice little performance difference between the two

The 770 is better than the 760 by about 130MHz and by about $100+ (according to pricewatch). It's not that huge of a mistake though. The performance difference would probably be minimal, however a 130MHz P-M difference is larger than if I were to compare to a P4 130MHz difference. P-M chips are about 25% - 50% faster than their desktop counterparts (clock-for-clock). It would be like comparing the performance difference of a P4 3.2GHz to that of a P4 3.4GHz. There will be a difference, but hardly noticeable in real-world useage.

In other words- there's no use to kick yourself in the butt over your mistake. If you have time, and if the ebayer is cool, talk to him/her about changing yours to a 770 model. Otherwise, it's really not worth it to worry.

Ok, thanks for the replies - what about 'futureproofness'? Should I expect this laptop to have a slightly shorter lifespan, or will the 6800 Ultra go and 1gb of Ram be the more significant components in determining that?
I'm sorry I'm such a worryer, but as I've had some bad experiences in the past with laptops, I'm trying to overcome a phobea =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom