Pentium M

Status
Not open for further replies.

procagefighter

In Runtime
What seperates Pent. M from Pent. 4?

I read that Pent. M will be moving from laptops to desktops...what kind of changes can we see in desktop performance?

Since nobody else tackled this one, briefly:

Pentium M is a further development of the Pentium 3 architecture.

Pentium 4 is a entirely separate branch of development centered around the "NetBurst" architecture (if I recall the name correctly).

Pentium M has more IPC (instructions per clock) than the Pentium 4, but it runs at a lower clock speed. It also has a shorter pipeline and thus there is less of a penalty for branch misprediction and cache misses.

I still have a Pentium III Coppermine 1000Mhz, 133FSB. It runs windows me... Still does the job, but can't even run microsoft fs2002 at max settings very well. Maybe its the gfx card, ati 9200se or the measly 256MB PC100ram. But its not that laggy, its very playable.
roger

The Pentium M moving to desktop computers will be Intel's way of trying to compete with AMD's way of doing things. But, will the prices be as low? Who knows?

If they stick to how they usually price things up, I don't think they'll get far considering how much movement AMD have been making in the industry lately.

TMT. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom