Pentium D!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Multitasking with 4 threads running will def give the advantage to the Pentium 4 EE dual core with HT enabled. Still, the p4 will suck at gaming, while the x2 will rock at gaming, while allowing you to do alot of multitasking.

the onli prob is P4 EE dual core... tht is $$$ (everything comes from it) Think it will go over the athlon 64x2 price(which is already pretty expensive)

I thought the dual cores were supposed to be slower for gaming. AMD still says that their Athlon 64s will be the best choice for gaming.

woot6600GT said:
I thought the dual cores were supposed to be slower for gaming. AMD still says that their Athlon 64s will be the best choice for gaming.
The athlon 64 x2's won't be slower. Because it will be the exact same processor, so it will game just as good. If not better because one processor will be dedicated to the windows stuff and the other one solely for running the game(as I understand it).

That's what I thought too, but I remebmber reading somewhere that dual cores will be slower for gaming...

They just mean that for the price, there not going to be faster. UYour not going to get a 2 times the speed processor, thats all their saying.

tomshardware is running stress test, and the P4 has been giving them major chipset errors.... the pretty much said that the NVidia's don't work, and the intels are buggy. AMDs been steady like a rock.

Havnt read an update though.... I'll go check.

Stress Test Results: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/stresstest-20.html

AMD clearly wins in everything but video encoding.

Actual Article: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/index.html

AMD had problems with DivX, and Toms says that Hyperthreading is still better then dual CPUs in multitasking (So Intel WILL still own the multitasking I suppose, once bugs are found).

TomsHardware.com
# Make sure your cooler can actually cool the CPU. It sounds so simple, but the variations on coolers, particularly for those that support the various models of Intel's Pentium Extreme CPUs, can be subtle but important. We had problems with using an under-sized cooler for our Pentium 840 EE. Use the largest cooler you can for this processor. The one designed for the 840 EE has a higher 3500 RPM and larger copper core than the ones designed for slower EE models.

# Not all DDR2-667 CL5.0 RAM chips work the same in these early pre-release test platforms. We had to replace our OCZ modules with ones from Crucial, because the memory timings of the nForce 4 chipsets for Intel were too fast for our test motherboards.

# With our tests so far, it seems that hyperthreading is better than having separate CPUs at distributing and balancing the load on the overall processor(s). We aren't sure if this is due to the design of the memory that we are using, the individual CPU controllers or bus architectures, or something else that we haven't tested. We are investigating this further.

# In our Far Cry tests, the AMD system with a single Nvidia graphics card still beat the frame rates posted by the Intel system with dual SLI cards. These tests were conducted with running multiple applications concurrently, with the game running as the foreground task, and your mileage and frame rates may vary from ours.

# AMD's dual core systems are more reliable at this point in time, at least when we put the final AMD product up against the pre-release Intel products that we used. We had far more problems with the Intel setup than AMD. Whether this is the nature of the products we tested, the mistakes we made in configuration, the greater tolerance for error when assembling AMD-related support components, or our own comfort factor with AMD equipment, we can't really say. But it is something to keep in mind when you assemble your own dual-core systems.

# Be prepared to be at the hairy edge of reliability with Intel dual-core SLI systems for the near term. We realize that our Intel setups are pre-release, but still we had several issues with BIOS updates and other items that reduced overall system reliability. This is certainly something to watch for as the Intel systems get into general release.

# All was not rosy with AMD, however: our tests showed that it lagged behind Intel with respect to Divx compression. We still don't have a good answer for the cause of this difference, however. But if you do a lot of videos, stick with Intel for the time being.

So, Hyperthreading is better than dual cores? Wtf? I thought hyperthreading was trying to mimic dual cores? And it does it better than the real thing?

They already covered this and like I said, the Pentium Ds got run over.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=1

Games aren't multithreaded so the processor is still technically only using one core to do the work. Comparing an FX-55 to a 4800+ in current games looks like this:

FX-55 - One core @ 2.6GHz
4800+ - Two cores @ 2.4GHz (one idle)

Basically, until games become multithreaded, raw clock speed is what you are looking for. Of course when multiple threads do need to be processed in games then both cores in a multicore CPU go into work so in a 4800+ you'll have two 2.4GHz cores processing crap. Understand?

That's why Intel and Hyperthreading don't mean jack in games and AMD cleans up, there aren't any multiple threads for Hyperthreading to process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom