Pentium or Athlon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD better get their act together.. if they don't release something revolutionary real soon, my next CPU will be an Intel w/Hyperthreading... despite the HUGE difference in price...

Seems in my experience processors are hardly ever the cause of any problems, i've owned several pentium and celerons computer and just built my first athlon, my 3 sisters all own computers and so does my mom, whenever weird crap happens to them and they have me come over to fix it 99% of the time its software or OS problems and my sisters Pentium 4 computer that kept locking up and freezing on her was a janky compaq powersupply (dont know if it was a compaq PS it didnt say, was in a compaq computer though) i put an antec in it and it was fine, although i didnt think it would be if the power supply was surging like that i thought thered be hardware damage.....

my moms slow slow slow experience with her pentium 3 was a 64mb AGP gfx card in a 64mb Syncdram computer (lmao)

My other sisters constent noise coming from her speakers was a janky ass seagate hard drive that had a nylon cover on it that was jammed up during its installation, i took it out put it back in with the nylon cover back over it and the problem went away...

eR my post got cut off for some reason....

well point being dont worry about stability of a processor when buying one, go for speed (athlon) and dont surround it with janky components

With Asus A7V333 and BIOS rev 1015 I have fitted an AMD 2800+ with 1024 MB PC2700 Ram. Absolutely brilliant and with NVidia 4 Ti4600 no pages are ever dropped. What more could I want?

I've used Pentiums my entire life, I would never even consider switching to AMD!! I don't even like the name AMD, it sounds sort of cheap like the old Gremlin Manufacture (AMC). And I think it practically is. If your going to buy a gaming PC, don't go cheap!

actually its up to you.. athlon is cheaper and faster.. so i prefer athlon.. i think whats expensive in pentium processors is the name "PENTIUM" Ü

Ok everyone,

We've come to the conclusion that it's up to your personal needs as to what CPU type you should get. Personally, I'd choose AMD simply for price and what i'd use it for (web design, gaming and word processing) but I've always found Intels okay too.

For the price of a 3+ghz Intel processor you can get an equivelant AMD for a smidgin of the cost. Plus we have to look at the price of motherboards too which are higher for 478s then As.

Though AMDs run at a higher temp, this can be countered with better HSFs. And though new Intels are now using HyperThreading and what not, the programs and components (bar winXP) that will benefit from this aren't a large list. Yes, they will be but not for this year. By 2004/5, it'll be more of a standard but for now, not so much. I'm sure most of you probably don't agree

I'm in the process of getting the cash together to buy the components for a new PC as i've had mine for the last 5 years, and bar from the HDD now being a bit buggered and the power supply making a lovely "RRRRRR"ing noise it works fine-ish. However, it's now showing its age and needs binning.

So, finally, AMD or Intel. Have to go AMD for now. We'll see what happens (may win lottery) and have to see where they are going with P4s and XPs to decide whats best in the future. All I know for sure is that this debate will go on for as long as there is more than one processor out-there. And so it should - competition is good. Sega always had my vote back when it was Nintendo v Sega.

AMD, nuff said

Mantzy

go with AMD... never hear about AMD having to recall thousands of chips cause they rushed them out or whatever.

AMD always beats out Intel in the benchtests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom