Pentium 4 confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

confuzzlicious

Beta member
Can anyone tell me the difference between the socket 478 and the 775 (besides the obvious):)??
What's the benefits of buying the 775?

Any help would be soooo greatful.

well confz me not know much details but have some idea about this stuff. 775 socket is the land grid array config in which you dont have pins in the procesor which plug into the sockets in the 478 case. you have some different technology which is better than the 478 one.
benefits : 775lga is new thing thats all i know.:)

It runs hotter :) But here is a conclusion from Hard OCP
IntelÂ’s new product line is not much more than boring. We are seeing no advantages to using their new 925X and 915G chipsets. We are seeing no advantages to currently using PCI-Express video cards. We are currently seeing no advantage to using DDR2 at 533MHz. Quite frankly, we are seeing no real advantages at all. Couple that with the fact that a 200MHz core speed bump really equates to nothing now days, and you have a launch that falls far short of exciting. If anything, the launch has really shown me how dominant AMD is on the gaming front.

Add to the fact that none of these products can be currently purchased, and you likely have one of the biggest paper launches we have seen in the past year. Of course, I am unsure if anyone is going to be rushing out to purchase it anyway.

With all of that said, there is still a very positive side to all of this. And while this comparison is not perfect, you have to look at this Intel launch being akin to AMDÂ’s 64-bit computing. AMD64 and IntelÂ’s LGA775 and 915/925 chipsets offer much of nothing to any computer user right now. They do however put the building blocks in place for our industry to move forward to better things. The hardware has to be in place before the software. We all know that now, and that this not likely to change any time soon. The hardware enthusiastÂ’s future is going to be full of launches that show new technology with no real immediate benefit and incremental clock increases that are so mundane that it will be hard to herald them as increases at all.

There is some great technology in IntelÂ’s new platforms; that greatness is just not going to be realized today.
hehe

confuzzlicious,

Basically the difference lie in the number of pins. socket 478 uses 478 pins for communication between the processor and board and 775 P have 775 pins. Of course, higher the number better is the performance.

If anything, the launch has really shown me how dominant AMD is on the gaming front.
Booyah Intel! :D

AMD64 and IntelÂ’s LGA775 and 915/925 chipsets offer much of nothing to any computer user right now.
I've been sayin this for a while now, people say Socket A is obsolete and there's no way in hell it is, put a 1gb kit of high performance low latency ram and the 6800GT and it'll outperform a AMD64 simply because it's not a 64bit environment and won't be until Longhorn is released in 2006 or when Intel releases their 64bit chip....

Socket A is here to stay! :D

Cappy said:
We are seeing no advantages to currently using PCI-Express video cards. We are currently seeing no advantage to using DDR2 at 533MHz. Quite frankly, we are seeing no real advantages at all. Couple that with the fact that a 200MHz core speed bump really equates to nothing now days, and you have a launch that falls far short of exciting. If anything, the launch has really shown me how dominant AMD is on the gaming front.

Add to the fact that none of these products can be currently purchased, and you likely have one of the biggest paper launches we have seen in the past year. Of course, I am unsure if anyone is going to be rushing out to purchase it anyway.

Intel started to push for "future technologies" with the introduction of 915/925 chipsets, LGA775 socket, DDR2 memory and PCI Express (PCI-E) bus. Out of those, PCI-E x16 attracted quite a bit of attention, as it offers a much higher bandwidth than what AGP can offer (4.2GB/s vs 2.4GB/s). In addition, PCI-E is a bus not a port, thus we can use more than one graphic card in a system, e.g. Nvidia's Scalable Link Interface (SLI) found on the 6800x and 6600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchPro...nerCata=48&DEPA=0&bop=and&srchFor=pci-express

isn't Microsoft releasing their 64 bit OS early next year? this should help increase d perfomance of the 64 bit CPUs rite? some1 correct me if i'm wrong.

Halo said:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/index.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041103/index.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041114/index.html

These are three articles with regard to what Intel is doing with it's CPU and some "heat prevention" tips. Note that AMD doesn't have any....kinda tells you something about who's FAR better with their temp handling. I believe that Intel starting to go slowly downhill...

Or it shows what company is actually trying to strive forward... nothing like sitting in the dust. New and improved products come about by doing just that, create new products and test them! Look who had MMX, and who had to BUY the rights to MMX because they couldn't come up with their own version.

HAHAHA and 3D Now! is a joke!

AMD is downhill and will never get up the hill.

Lets see how many people I get in a frantic rage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom