Pentium 1 HDD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceware

In Runtime
Hi

I have a Pentium 1 and I would like to insert a 20GB HDD in it but the BIOS only supports up to 8GB. IÂ’ve tried every thing I can think of including updating the BIOS but still the same problem. If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Have you tried partitioning out the Disc into 7.9 GB sections?
Maxtor made a utility that would allow a disk of large capacity to be used on a system that wouldn't normally recognise it. Might want to start there and see what you can find.

Good luck

iceware said:
Hi

I have a Pentium 1 and I would like to insert a 20GB HDD in it but the BIOS only supports up to 8GB. IÂ’ve tried every thing I can think of including updating the BIOS but still the same problem. If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

I take it that you already have the drive? I'm at work so I can't give any links. register at driverguide .com, do a basic search for
ez drive ver. 9.06. It has ez bios. boot from a 98 boot disk. at A:
put in the ez disk you made and type ez. install ez bios and it will partition and format to fat16 or fat32 only. if you mess up or it doesn't work for some reason, you can load ez again an uninstall it.

As a last resort you could buy an add-in IDE PCI card. My Maxtor drive came with one. I used it on a Pentium 200, and all 80GB showed up.

That is what I'd reccommend, purchase an ATA-133 PCI card and hook your drive into that. Read the system requirements before getting the card. The onboard BIOS driver for the ATA-133 card loads and give the motherboard the capability to use Int-13 extensions, allowing almost endless max HDD capacities. Plus the cards are cheap, try www.newegg.com for the best deals. Good luck.

Edit:

An additional reason to get an ATA-133 card would be throughput. The card should be able to handle whatever HDD you throw at it, as long as it's a PATA HDD. Even if you partitioned the drive to work on your system, you still wouldn't be able to utilize the HDDs max data transfer speed. That is if it is faster than what the mobo BIOS can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom