PC's boot failure after new ram chip inserted!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

badgadjit1

Solid State Member
PC's boot failure after new ram chip inserted!!

ok this is a dell 933mhz...pentium 3 i think...not sure( not my comp)....i threw in a stick of 128 stick of sdram and the system would boot up for about 5 secs and shut itself off....i took out the new stick and put the old one back in and the same thing happend once again...whats the problem??...and is there a cure.....

Well, only thing I can think of is try inserting it in either the first or last slot and see what happens. I remember having the same problem awhile back. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what else to tell you :\

well theres oonly 2 slots and i tried both...and since that didn't work i put the old one back in and it still doing it..

yeah..but why wouldn't it want to use the origional...like why is it shutting off now instead of booting up...what would make it shut off automatically after 5 secs of turning the pc on?

all i can suggest is to reset your BIOS by using the reset jumper or taking out the two CMOS button batteries in the motherboard for 30 minutes. afterwards put the batteries back and use the same old memory you had before.

or maybe you could try use optimized or failsafe defaults in the cmos setup before you try all of that. try hitting delete or F8 while the computer boots up at the detecting devices screen. there usually is a message telling you how to access bios

How secure is this computer from viruses? It is possible that your have the sobig.F virus. If that could be the case, check it out at www.symantec.com

If your connected to the internet via a LAN, try disconnecting from the network, and booting up.

Hope this helps, Gimmick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom