PCIE x16 card in x1 slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Viksta

Ninja Stargate Addict
Hello, i just read an article in TomsHardware where they used a 3850 in x1 mode by taping off the other lanes. I was wondering, will i be able to get my old Geforce 6600 to work in my spare PCIEx1 slot so that i can run dual monitors? or will that be a bridge too far?

I have looked at the X1 slots and they are basically the front part of the x16 slots.....

lol nooo do not try this you run the risk of possibly damaging your card. Someone tried to cut off the other pins on a GPU once and tried to RMA it .... lol quite funny but dont try what you have in mind....... if your gona run dual monitors your gona have to sli or Xfire with whatever card you currently own.

a PCI-e 1x slot is about this long [---]
A pci-e 1.1 16 slot is this long [----------------]

So no, it wont work.

if your gona run dual monitors your gona have to sli or Xfire with whatever card you currently own.

SLI does not support any more then 1 monitor at the moment... What you mean is that you need 2 separate cards(outside of SLI) running to dual monitor.

Crossfire does support multiple monitors while in crossfire mode, but it is not needed to run multiple monitors.

All you need really is 2 cards, or even 1 high powered card to run dual monitors.

Oh and DO NOT TRY THIS... That story of the idiot who cut his card to make it fit... I didn't even lawl cause it scares me that people are that stupid...

lol nooo do not try this you run the risk of possibly damaging your card. Someone tried to cut off the other pins on a GPU once and tried to RMA it .... lol quite funny but dont try what you have in mind....... if your gona run dual monitors your gona have to sli or Xfire with whatever card you currently own.

LOL! I remember that tread very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom