PCIe x16 architecture -vs- bandwidth question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiliPalmer

Baseband Member
I have two identical graphics cards that require PCIe x16 bandwidth.

If I'm using an Abit IP35 Pro motherboard, which has one PCIe slot that is x16 architecture AND bandwidth and another slot that is PCIe x16 architecture but only x4 bandwidth, what will happen if I put one graphics card into each slot?

PNY tells me that one card won't work, but I seem to think it will just get less bandwidth than it can otherwise handle.

Who is right?

And considering these are 2-d workstation cards, not gaming cards, does it even matter?

Thanks.

It won't even matter. I think both will get something like x8. I could be wrong. Even high end graphic cards, don't take advantage of the full x16 bandwidth.

I don't know what to think anymore. I'm a fool for tying to build my own computer. I should've just paid Hypersonic the $4k they wanted and been done with it.

I own two Nvidia Quadro NVS 440's. There is next to nothing on these pages, or the web in general, about getting these cards to work.

I just want 6 monitors (for business purposes). I went with two of the same card to avoid compatibility issues. My Abit IP35 Pro mobo has two PCIe slots. One is x16/x16, the other is x16/x4.

Each of my Quadro NVS 440's is x16.

For the life of me, I can't get it working. Since I built my own PC, windows was a clean install. I uninstalled RAID when I thought that was a problem. That Raptor drive looks nice in that HD cage. Too bad it isn't doing anything or connected to anything.

I asked elsewhere if I should install both cards and then install NVidia drivers or install one, install the drivers, and then install the other card. I got two totally different answers.

Apparently, there is a certain order in which to connect the monitors to the card. Too bad they don't mention it in the card instructions. I can't tell if my problem is that the slot doesn't read the card or that the monitor isn't getting a signal from the port. The port doesn't put out a signal unless a monitor is connected, I can't afford the next 4 monitors right now on account of the wad I blew on the other hardare, so how am I supposed to know if the card is working if I've haven't got spare monitors to plug into it? And even if I did have the monitors, I can't figure out the wretched port connection/verification sequence.

Got that? I don't.

Whatever. Daul RAMDACs, native display drivers in XP, voltage, watts, slots, ports, connection order, this, that, the other. I'm in way over my head, but it's too late now!

I thought I would try a 440 x1 version in the x4 PCIe slot to see if that worked, but I've already got $900 worth of graphics cards that I can't get to work, so I'm not keen on spending another $400 to have 3 cards that don't work. I don't know if the x1 slot has enough power/bandwidth/fill-in-the-blank-with-whatever-you-like to power the x16 440. Seems no one else does either.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. I'm probably 60 hours into this whole mess and I'm no closer to the finish than when I started. I thought the $1,500 I would save over Hypersonic's price building it myself would be more than enough compensation for any trouble I had. That was bad judgment, for sure.

But now I can check "experienced" (by way of utter frustration and despair) when registering for these internet forums, so I guess it isn't all bad!

I don't know what to think anymore. I'm a fool for tying to build my own computer. I should've just paid Hypersonic the $4k they wanted and been done with it.

I own two Nvidia Quadro NVS 440's. There is next to nothing on these pages, or the web in general, about getting these cards to work.

I just want 6 monitors (for business purposes). I went with two of the same card to avoid compatibility issues. My Abit IP35 Pro mobo has two PCIe slots. One is x16/x16, the other is x16/x4.

Each of my Quadro NVS 440's is x16.

For the life of me, I can't get it working. Since I built my own PC, windows was a clean install. I uninstalled RAID when I thought that was a problem. That Raptor drive looks nice in that HD cage. Too bad it isn't doing anything or connected to anything.

I asked elsewhere if I should install both cards and then install NVidia drivers or install one, install the drivers, and then install the other card. I got two totally different answers.

Apparently, there is a certain order in which to connect the monitors to the card. Too bad they don't mention it in the card instructions. I can't tell if my problem is that the slot doesn't read the card or that the monitor isn't getting a signal from the port. The port doesn't put out a signal unless a monitor is connected, I can't afford the next 4 monitors right now on account of the wad I blew on the other hardare, so how am I supposed to know if the card is working if I've haven't got spare monitors to plug into it? And even if I did have the monitors, I can't figure out the wretched port connection/verification sequence.

Got that? I don't.

Whatever. Daul RAMDACs, native display drivers in XP, voltage, watts, slots, ports, connection order, this, that, the other. I'm in way over my head, but it's too late now!

I thought I would try a 440 x1 version in the x4 PCIe slot to see if that worked, but I've already got $900 worth of graphics cards that I can't get to work, so I'm not keen on spending another $400 to have 3 cards that don't work. I don't know if the x1 slot has enough power/bandwidth/fill-in-the-blank-with-whatever-you-like to power the x16 440. Seems no one else does either.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. I'm probably 60 hours into this whole mess and I'm no closer to the finish than when I started. I thought the $1,500 I would save over Hypersonic's price building it myself would be more than enough compensation for any trouble I had. That was bad judgment, for sure.

But now I can check "experienced" (by way of utter frustration and despair) when registering for these internet forums, so I guess it isn't all bad!
the Quadro 440's have four outputs, apparently. So you won't need three of them to run six monitors.
One card for up to 4 monitors, two cards for up to 8 monitors.

Anyway, the cards will work, even with only 4X bandwith. They won't even need the extra bandwith anyway.
A lot of motherboards which have PCI-E 16X slots, are actually 8X slots - and people's cards work fine.
Heck, one user here sometimes has his motherboard switch the PCI-E bandwith to 1X. All that happened is his performance was lower (1X bandwith actually is restrictive for high-end cards.)

the only thing you need to worry about is whether the PCI-E card will physically fit in the PCI-E slot. Just don't cut off some of the pins (one member here actually did that once)

All you need to do is plug the cards in, run a monitor from the top video card first, install the drivers for both the video cards (which can be done in device manager, though an install wizard might come up automatically)

Then, right click on the desktop, go to properties, settings
your multi-monitor settings will be there.

I know that on my board if 1 card is ran it is in 16x bandwidth. If two cards are ran, then my bandwidth is limited to 8x for both..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom