PCIe 2.0 card in 1.0 slot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
it should work, just the 2.0 has a transfer rate twice as fast as the 1.0, i think its something like 5.0 gt/s, so that means that 1.0 would be 2.5 gt/s or something like that.

gt/s = gigatransfers per second

Source: www.wikipedia.com/wiki/pci_express
PCI-SIG announced the availability of the PCI Express Base 2.0 specification on 15 January 2007.[4] PCIe 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 2.5 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GB/s in each direction.

PCIe 2.0 is completely backwards compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0, and vice versa.

if it was made for a 2.0 slot and you use it in a 1.0 then it caps the speed at 1.0.

so you should see a difference if you change it to 2.0 and the card was made for 2.0

Not true, the cards havent exceeded 1.0 bandwidth yet. The transition was made now for future cards to come.

Not true, the cards havent exceeded 1.0 bandwidth yet. The transition was made now for future cards to come.

you took the words right out of my mouth. there will be no noticeable difference even with an overclock! it's like SATA vs SATA 3.0. there is no advantage to the newer drives in terms of bandwidth. they just have some extra features that were added by the SATA II committee, therefore the only disadvantage in using them on older ports is that you won't be able to use things such as NCQ (i think staggered spin up is also part of the newer standard).

i know that was a bit of a roundabout post but i think it's a good comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom