PCI USB Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan92

Beta member
Hi I wondered if anyone could help. I am trying to install a USB 2.0 PCI Card on my pc but when I insert the card it does not boot up at all. I have tested it on another more modern pc and it detects the card and boots up no problem.

I checked to see if there are any compatibility issues with the PCI bus on the motherboard but there don't appear to be any. The spec is as follows:-

32 bits bus transfer mode
33MHz operation speed
Memory burst transfer to 132MB/sec

My PCI Card documentation says it supports this.

The only thing I can't check is whether USB is enabled in the CMOS - unfortunatley I set a password for my BIOS several years ago and have since forgotton it. I am reluctant to reset the BIOS if I can help it. I don't see why this would stop the pc booting up either?

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

From what I can remember most older PC's come with the USB's ports disabled in the bios, Ya may have to clear the CMOS to get into the bios again. That's why I NEVER password protect my bios. Wait a little while, there's some sharp dudes in here that can probably give ya some better direction. Good Luck:D

can you post up system specs?

Are you saying that when you put the card into the machine it will not boot into windows? Or that it's just not detecting the pci card?

I doubt you need to do anything in the bios for "usb", but you might have a IRQ conflict. Try moving the card to another pci slot.

If the machine is really old it may not support the level of PCI technology you need. I think it's "PCI 2.1" if my failing memory suits me right.

Hope this helps!

Hi Thanks for your suggestions....basically if I put the PCI card in any of the slots (tried 3 different slots) the pc will not boot up at all - I switch it on and see the red light flashing indicating the hard disk is doing something but then nothing - the monitor is blank. I know this pci card works as I tried it on another machine with XP and had no problems.

I removed the battery to reset the CMOS so I can now get into the BIOS ok. USB was enabled anyway so no problem here - i selected USB Legacy support but this made no difference either. I loaded the BIOS defaults but still have the same problem

I bought the pc in 1999 - the spec is:-

Windows 2000 Professional
400mHz Pentium II Processor
320Mb RAM
40GB Hard Disk

The motherboard is a GA-5AA ALi Aladdin V AGPset

I didn't think an IRQ conflict would prevent the pc booting up ? Rather it would stop the devices concerned from working.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

So when you put this card in your system becomes a no post. Interesting.

Have you looked for a bios update for your system?

I would say the dirty word "incompatible" but you say someone claims to have these devices work together. Maybe you should try a different manufacturer PCI card?

BIOS update? How do I do that? Do I need to go to the manufacturer's website??

Maybe its the pci card - it was only a tenner.. its a :-

Novatech USB2 PCI Controller Card 4 Port 98SE 2000 ME & XP

I mean it even had a picture of an astronaut on the front..whats that all about!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom