PCI Sound Card Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemicrobyte

Beta member
Ever since I accidentally murdered the sound card built into my mother board three months ago I have been using a Sound Blaster Audigy2 Value PCI sound card. When I am using my computer for normal stuff, such as listening to music or watching videos/DVDs, the sound is perfectly fine. However this is not always the case.

The problem I am having occurs when I am playing computer games. What happens is during the game when the fans speed changes (I can hear it changing) the sound becomes glitchy with loud screeches, popping, and crackling noises. This will usually go on for a second or two, and then the music in the game will cut out. Every games “glitch” noise is slightly different, but the main problem right now is with World of Warcraft because that is where it is the worst. A while later when the fan speed changes again the sound will glitch extremely loudly for anywhere from 5-60 seconds. I usually mute my sound during this time, and after it is done either the music is restored or it remains missing.

I believed that a solution to this would be to cool the inside of my computer so that the fan wouldnÂ’t need to change speeds so much, but my local CompUSA salespeople seem to think that the problem is being caused by some sort of conflict which they described briefly, but unfortunately I cannot remember the details. They suggested that I try switching the PCI slot the card is in, but I have not yet tried this as it is quite inconvenient to get my computer disconnected from everything and out to where I can work on it (and itÂ’s even harder to put it back).

I am now thoroughly convinced that this problem can be solved without purchasing any additional hardware, and that I should be able to fix it myself with some help from experienced users. Now I turn to you for help. This problem has been around for over three months and I am desperate. If you need any additional information I will be happy to supply you with it, but if it is “advanced technical information” you will need to tell me how to obtain it.

Relevant Computer Specs:

• HP Pavilion a465c
• Mad Dog Sure Power 350 watt power supply (installed by certified technician)
• ATI All In Wonder 9800PRO AGP 8x (installed by certified technician)
• D-Link wireless PCI network adapter (802.11b)
• Sound Blaster Audigy2 Value (PCI)
• Windows XP Home SP2 with everything updated
• 512 MB RAM (pre installed)
• Intel Pentium 4 -- 3.0 GHZ
• DVD-ROM and DVD+RW drives (both pre-installed)
• Pre installed 7 in one (something like that) card reader with 3.5 in floppy disk drive
• One fan on rear of case, one fan on processor, two fans on power supply (one internal one external)
• No spyware/viruses currently on computer (95% sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom