PCI slot usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I have a question about my pci slots and if it maters where each device is. Here is my current setup:

AGP - 9800pro
PCI1 - Slot fan
PCI2 - Slot fan
PCI3 - Audigy Platinum
PCI4 - WinFast TV Tuner
PCI5 - Promise SATA Controler

I have one slot fan, but its a large one that draws a good amout of heat off of the video card.

Some say to put any pic cards that deal with video in the first pci slot, and the sound card in the last. What is the best setup for me? Does one pci slot make a difference ovre others?

You just want to make sure specific things arent sharing IRQs. you dont want a pci sata controller and an onboard raid controller sharing the cpu. Things like usb/firewire ports are normally ok to share irqs with. Also, you want your audio on its own irq if possible. Especially if gaming.

I checked and there are two things on the 20 irq. NVIDIA nForce MCP Netorkwing Adapter and the Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controler. There are two Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controlers, one on irq 20, the other on irq 21. Is this a problem? And how do I fix it?

Also my RADEON 9800 PRO is on irq 19, and the OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controler is on irq 19. Is this a problem, and how do I fix it?

Nothing is on the following irq's: 2,7, 12.

Turn the devices off, Reserve the IRQs? You can manually set the IRQ in windows i think? under device manager, properties under the hardware in question. I wouldn't forcibly change your video card's irq though. I'm not sure why, it just doesn't sound like a good plan. It's been a long time since i've had to mess with any irq settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom