PCI IDE RAID controller help . . . - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default PCI IDE RAID controller help . . .

Hello , first , it is nice to have these forums available .It sure beats taking your PC to the local store for repairs and such . Next , I recently put together a PC , naturally only one IDE plug in on the mainboard . Therefore I resorted to a PCI ATA raid controller . Now I have two HDDs , both plugged in to the RAID card , both with OS's on them . In the control panel everything seems to be there , but I cannot boot to the other HDD . Is there a way to access them individually , for I would like to be able to access them as if they were partitioned on one drive , and then when the machine boots up I had my choice of what system to select . Thanks for listening . Any help surely is appreciated .

Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It sounds like you want to look into a boot manager. By default the first boot device will look at the first OS installed on the first partition on the first channel. A boot manager will allow you to choose what OS to boot from. Windows has a boot manager, or you can download a free one (like Ranish Partition Manager ) or you can download a paid one (like Acronis).

Have fun...

Old 07-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default in response to Anmont. . .

Hey , thanks Anmont . I will check out the things you suggested . It will really be nice to be able to boot on the system I want to use . This has been quite a project for me . Thanks Tech Forums .
Old 07-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

yeah i've used RPM before and i like its feel. the boot manager with RPM is called XOSL and works nicely.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey , great nitestick & anmont . Now I'll spend some time checking into these options . Thanks again .
Now that type of program will allow me to boot from not only partitions on a drive , but also boot up on a seperate HDD ?

Thanks Tech Forums
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey, no problem.

Yes, you can boot from different drives.

Closed Thread