PCI Express... worth it? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by The Merlin
Hmm, it depends how crappy your system is... If you regularly upgrade then you'll save money by waiting, but if your stuck with like a Geforce 2 or something, then I'd go with an AGP card

You'll have to redo EVERYTHING on your machine to run PCI-Express, mobo, CPU and GFX card and that alone will get you around $1000
hmm.... well i do not upgrade regularly and i do have a crappy machine that really cant handle the games nemore. What would there to be upgraded when PCI express comes out? Motherboard, Vid card, soundcard and all that junk. Why would u need to get a new CPU?

Old 04-13-2004, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

r all the pci express goin to better then the 9800xt

Old 04-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyph3R
hmm.... well i do not upgrade regularly and i do have a crappy machine that really cant handle the games nemore. What would there to be upgraded when PCI express comes out? Motherboard, Vid card, soundcard and all that junk. Why would u need to get a new CPU?
You'd need a new CPU because your gonna have a all new mobo that won't support older CPU's

If you don't upgrade regularly, I'd just buy an AGP card, because they are still plenty fast for now and they are affordable.

In a few weeks the 9800XT will be cheaper, but a solid card would be the 9800 Pro which will run games like Far Cry rather well

<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">Desktop: 3.0ghz HT 800fsb P4, Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, 2x 512mb GEIL Dual Channel DDR400, 80gb 7200rpm ATA HD, Sapphire X800 XT Platinum Edition, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 THX Speakers, Turbolink 420watt PSU, Black 19\" Orion Monitor, Logitech MX Duo and Win XP Home</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">My Wishlist: 74gb 10K SATA Western Digital Raptor...</marquee>
Old 04-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chubz
Bah, PCI Express is WAY to expensive.......man, I can barely afford AGP cards as of now!!

No way!! (Although I must admit, PCI Express WILL change the way we look at video cards)
Everything is expensive when it first comes out. After a few months the prices will settle down especially if we see old PCI, and AGP slots begin to be phased out of motherboards.
<a href=\'http://www.gaming-forums.org\'>
Gaming-Forums.org
<a/>
</b>
</font>
Old 04-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

PCI express will run roughly 2X faster (or was it four, cant remember) than the 8X AGP, price is unknown and supported cards price is currently unknown. It will be FAST.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 04-14-2004, 07:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

It's 2x faster. Basically it will be twice as fast as 8x AGP making it 16x. If you check NVIDIA website they say they are developing cards for it, and the new 6800 has support for both 8x AGP and PCI Express. So You can buy the card, and then if you upgrade your mobo you can keep the same card.
<a href=\'http://www.gaming-forums.org\'>
Gaming-Forums.org
<a/>
</b>
</font>
Old 04-14-2004, 07:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

well, I probably wont for awhile. Mine does just what I need for now. May get more memory and a better vid card, but a new mobo, probably power supply, etc is not needed for me. Be nice to have, but cant always get what you want

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread