is PCI express the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnairgunz09

In Runtime
waiting to buy a mobo is pci express the future or is it just a "fling" if i was to go pci express will it be around for a while or is agp here to stay? whats up?

Well it's supposed to be completely erasing AGP and becoming the new standard being that it has a completely wider and faster bus for information. Unfortunately not a card out there even uses it's full bandwidth yet, but basically yeah it's suppose to be the next step in motherboards and AGP a thing of the past.

I always wait though to see what becomes of the new technology and whatnot and see where it's headed before I throw down the money on it

However, if no cards fully utilize the bandwith of PCIe 16x, then it is worth the money. This means you can still use future graphics cards even if they are based on whatever PCIe 32x is and still get the same performance.

i dont see what the big deal is on the pci-e. Maybe i just havent researched it enough but i have a agp 8x radeon x800 pro in my system it works great not a single problem i can run farcry in ultra high graphics with out a single bit of lag. And the pci-e are always more expensive cards. unless u want to go with like a 128bit card like a 6600gt but i dont recommend that. that is if u want a computer fir gaming. if u dont want it for gaming by all means go with a 6600gt pci-e

Why would you get a PCI-e card if it's not for gaming? Also, if it doesn't use it's full potential band width, it can still use more than AGP

Right now, both AGP and PCIe are great I mean suffice. However, that still doesn't change the fact that if the total bandwith of PCIe 16x isn't used right now and we are still seeing a minimal growth from previous generation cards, then that rate won't change. So, even the next couple of generations won't even get close to using the full bandwith of PCIe16x so it isn't really jumping on the gun for PCIe. It may very well be worth it if we see some huge bandwith jump.

Socom234, your not seeing the point. In the very near future, AGP will completely become desolated. For now, nothing is wrong with APG, but within 2-3 years, their will be. Since PCI-E offers so much more, Card Companys are going to go PCI-E. Abandoning AGP forever. Its the same deal with 64bit processors and 256bit/256mb video cards. Its the next best thing. So if you know anything about computers, a year from now you'll be getting PCI-E mobo's.

Thanks Codeine, I was about to put in my own two cents towards him lol

i dont see what the big deal is on the pci-e. Maybe i just havent researched it enough but i have a agp 8x radeon x800 pro in my system it works great not a single problem i can run farcry in ultra high graphics with out a single bit of lag
Yeah no one ever said AGP was a problem. It's the simple fact that PCI-E will replace it sooner or later, no arguements. No one ever said because of the release of PCI-E all of a sudden people with AGP will experience lag

and all of this info:

And the pci-e are always more expensive cards. unless u want to go with like a 128bit card like a 6600gt but i dont recommend that. that is if u want a computer fir gaming. if u dont want it for gaming by all means go with a 6600gt pci-e
Is just incorrect. The 6600GT PCI-E or AGP is a good card. It's a budget card, best bang for the buck. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it and you would still have an awesome gaming computer with it, so why you think otherwise is just ridiculous.

We can't all afford X800XT's and 6800GT's :rolleyes:

Also, remember. I read this on a guide or thread on AMD Tech about PCIe vs. AGP. PCIe eliminates I/O bottlenecks since it is a relatively fast bus where as PCI/AGP are slow ones.

also dont forget about SLI....im planning on building a new system in a matter of 2 weeks(crosses fingers) with the new A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo....not even thinking about AGP....i already got one of those...
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom