PCI Express Card Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanghoeby

Baseband Member
Building my first computer here and bought a Radeon ABIT X700 Pro to put on my ABIT AN8 SLI Guru Motherboard. Everything has gone just perfect except for my graphics card. It wont go in. The small chunk of bits on the side away from the center of the motherboard, I believe is the culpret. It would go all the way in (only like a millimeter off). When I clamp the other side down, it pulls the screw hole on the back pannel away from the back. This disaligns the screwhole off just a mil. or two so that I can not fit the screw in without flexing the motherboard. I'll see if I can get a pic of the situation up if this is too confusing.

What are people's ideas or suggestions? Should I get the card replaced, or is it normal for not perfect fit?

Just shove it in until the card becomes keyed. Its not going to break if you put a little more pressure on it.

Is it just me, or are you trying to fit an ATI card into an Nvidia board? SLI is for Nvidia, and you're trying to fit an ATI card into it. Tell me if I'm stupid and that it doesn't matter, but it just seems like that to me.

No, a single (PCI-E) ATI card will work on any PCI-E mobo. Although only the upcoming Crossfire boards will support dual ATI cards, and visa-versa.

Well, this doesnt help but why the heck did you buy an SLI mobo if you got a ATI card?

truebe said:
Well, this doesnt help but why the heck did you buy an SLI mobo if you got a ATI card?

True, although he made a good choice nontheless; nForce 4 chipsets are of the highest quality ;)

This really didn't help me much. I guess I learned one thing, but again this is my first build so give me some slack. If figured pci was pci, oh well. So... is it ok if the back screw is attatched but the clip towards the center is not? It's only shy by a millimeter or so. The card seems to be pretty firmly in there anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

So.... what should I do?

Install PCI card

The procedure to install PCI card is similar to graphics card installation. Only difference is slot.

VengaBoyz

If you are absolutely sure that it is in straight and not at an angle, its not all that unusual for the screw hole to not line up right. I frequently have to 'persuade' it to line up, so yes, it sometimes will be under a little bit of pressure.

If you're only off by a millimeter, you're fine to just gently coax it into position. Just make sure you aren't hung up on anything else. Look along the edge of the slot and make sure the card is in evenly first.

The card does not go in all the way straight, it is out about a millimeter on the side closer to the edge of the case. As of right now the center of the motherboard side of the card, where you clip it in, is not in. The clip is off by like a millimeter or two. I'm pretty sure that it is a defect in the card but I don't want to wait two weeks to send it back and reorder it, since I am using it for school in three weeks and will need it fully running then. The pannel on the back feels pretty steady so I think I'll go with it, and if any thing happens I'll talk to newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom