Pci compatibility?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2004, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Pci compatibility??

Hey guys, I don't know much about computers and I have a question. I'm currently useing a gforce 3 ti 200 pci card, and I was wondering since the new PCI express cards came out, can I replace my gforce 3 ti 200 card with one of those newer PCIx cards? Also, anyone recommend any good video cards? I'm willing to spend around 100 - 300 dollars.

Also Im useing a around 2 year old p4 1.8 ghz computer with 512 rdram. I'm plannin to upgrade just to play world of warcraft, so what should I do guys. thank you for your replys

Old 11-10-2004, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

No your current motherboard most likely doesn't support it. The motherboard must support the PCI-E functions.

The connections for PCI and PCI-E are of diffrent sizes and they are diffrent technologys..

You would have to upgrade your motherboard.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you have a AGP port you should really use that. And for a graphic card I would reccomend something like Radeon 9800 or 9600XT or nvidia 5900XT. Those are all AGP cards. Uprgrading your Motherboard would be good if you don't have an AGP port, look on newegg.com for the best deals and post to make sure you found what you want.
Samsung QX410 notebook <-- lol, I'm always on the go these days :(
Old 11-11-2004, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

can I replace my gforce 3 ti 200 card with one of those newer PCIx cards?
No, need to upgrade your mobo to Intel's new 9xx series chipsets.

The problem w/ your particular system is that you can only upgrade so far based on the 400Mhz FSB cap and the expense of upgrading your RDRAM (only 512MB for about $230).

pc_boy is right about the AGP, you will notice a big difference even a 9800 Pro.
Jeff Cline
MYTHLOGIC Corporation
Custom. Gaming. Computers.
<a href=\"http://www.mythlogic.com\">http://www.mythlogic.com</a>
Closed Thread