Pci compatibility??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakim

Beta member
Hey guys, I don't know much about computers and I have a question. I'm currently useing a gforce 3 ti 200 pci card, and I was wondering since the new PCI express cards came out, can I replace my gforce 3 ti 200 card with one of those newer PCIx cards? Also, anyone recommend any good video cards? I'm willing to spend around 100 - 300 dollars.

Also Im useing a around 2 year old p4 1.8 ghz computer with 512 rdram. I'm plannin to upgrade just to play world of warcraft, so what should I do guys. thank you for your replys

No your current motherboard most likely doesn't support it. The motherboard must support the PCI-E functions.

The connections for PCI and PCI-E are of diffrent sizes and they are diffrent technologys..

You would have to upgrade your motherboard.

If you have a AGP port you should really use that. And for a graphic card I would reccomend something like Radeon 9800 or 9600XT or nvidia 5900XT. Those are all AGP cards. Uprgrading your Motherboard would be good if you don't have an AGP port, look on newegg.com for the best deals and post to make sure you found what you want.

can I replace my gforce 3 ti 200 card with one of those newer PCIx cards?
No, need to upgrade your mobo to Intel's new 9xx series chipsets.

The problem w/ your particular system is that you can only upgrade so far based on the 400Mhz FSB cap and the expense of upgrading your RDRAM (only 512MB for about $230).

pc_boy is right about the AGP, you will notice a big difference even a 9800 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom