Is PCI Bridge Necessary? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2005, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Is PCI Bridge Necessary?

Machine type: Gateway LP Minitower 750 Select.
Windows 98 -192MB
AMD Processor

I've reimaged this unit "for a friend", I was unable to get the LAN driver information before reimaging.

Initial Problem: PCI controller & PCI Bridge (Device Mgr - reading for both "!" .)

I've taken out the NIC card: Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Lan Card model LNE 100TX version 5.1.

I found the correct driver and I managed to get the PCI controller working properly. (Device is functioning properly)

But, I'm still unable find a suitable PCI Bridge driver.

(I have not taken this unit back to my friend's house because I have no way of downloading drivers from his home)

Is the PCI Bridge necessary to reconnect this unit back to his DSL?
Keeping in mind, he has a Cisco Wireless router BEFW11F4 which is used to connect his son's computer to the internet as well. Will there be a problem caused by not having the PCI bridge functional?

Please assist.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

The bridge should be controlled by the default windows drivers, or the motherboard drivers. If you found the motherboard drivers your set.

And for #2, the router is linksys, a division of cisco, and not a cisco router.

Old 07-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've gone to and downloaded all of the motherboard files associated with this unit and I've utilized the new hardware search feature to scan the Windows 98 cd. It doesn't find anything. I'm going to take out the linksys card and try rebooting without it.... I will also get a good look at the motherboard to see what model it is and attempt to find the driver....Any other ideas?
Closed Thread