PC133 Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I'm price shopping for parts to revive the old computer. Here's a question i have...

Is pc133 Ram compatible with a mainboard that uses pc100? I know with boards today you can stick in ram that's higher than the fsb requirements of the board (memory clocks down to meet the speed), but does the same apply to old boards?

It doesnt matter if you use pc 133 as long as you dont mind the performace hit from the pc100 motherboard. If you have the option save a few dollars and just get the pc100 since it doesnt matter, if you already have the stick then its no big deal. Just make sure you dont try and get DDR ram because that wont fit. :)

PC133 is commonly referred to as PC100/133 so you will be fine. And just a tip, most computers running PC100/133 can only hand up to 512MB.

as stated above it will just under clock its self but still be compatable. imo, it would be a waste of money unless you are planning on upping the mobo that takes sdram

Yeah i know ddr wouldn't fit. LoL. That'd be silly.

The board is actually capable of 768 mb of ram (if i remember the number correctly).

Thanks guys. I figured it most likely was compatible, i just thought to ask first. I've found it hard to find pc100 ram for sale. I'm looking for 256 or 512mb sticks.

The PC133 ram is starting to get expensive because it's becoming more and more outdated. Get it while you can. You should still be able to find the best prices on www.newegg.com

You should just max out while you can, grab a stick of 256MB and 512MB

Yeah that's what i planned on doing, maxing out. Newegg has a lousy selection of pc133 and close to no pc100 ram. They were the first ones i tried. I checked out zipzoomfly too and my other fav, tigerdirect. Looks like my best bet might be going to stores like office depot, bestbuy, etc., for pc100 ram (atleast they have it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom