PC100 SDRAM & PC133 SDRAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I did a search and read through some of the topics pertaining to my question. I'm posting anyway because i didn't see anything pertaining to my particular board.

I'm reviving an old board and looking to get some new memory for it. It is a PCCHIPS M598 mainboard, capable of handling a max of 768 mb of SDRAM. It has 3 SDRAM slots and it runs at 100 max FSB.

Looking around at all the prices, i would be better off buying PC133 SDRAM to stick in it. I understand that it would only run at 100, but it may come out cheaper for me. My question is... is there anyone here who can suggest a particular brand or type of SDRAM pc133 that will work with the M598? Is there anyone here with experience on this board? I understand that certain brands of pc133 may not work at all.

I'm still shopping around for pc100 sdram, and i'm going to check pricewatch in a few minutes, but i wanted to post this anyway and see what kind of responses i get.

Thanks in advance. ;)

what you need to do is find out if it requires parity or non parity, that is the difference , some of the older bpoards will not work with non parity ram. go to the manuf. site (if still around) and see if you can get an owners manual. then see what ram you will need from there . unless someone here knows the board and can tell you.

depending on what speed the cpu wil go just about any type of sdram(100 or 133) will work in it. not saying it will work right but good enough to see what it can do. Id say if it is 300mhz or higher(maybe even 266MMX) it will run anyPC133.

TheMajor runs a Pentium MMX 200 @ 225 which uses PC133 on the i430 TX chipset. Any old chip can use the memory, but will it benefit from the added speed is the question.

yes it will and like AI said the parity has to be right. you cant just put any old ram into a chipset like that. it actually has to be right. its like tryin to put ddr2 into a ddr2 slot, or putting pc4400 into a 3200slot and trying to make it run at 4400(not ocing).

Well i tried reading through the manual in hopes of finding answers to my questions long before i posted here. The manual (and yes the manufacturer has a site and still offers manuals on the board) doesn't go into detail about the memory it takes, other than to say that it takes 168 pin sdram at a max of 768mb. Remember, the manual was written at the time the board came out, which was back in 1995/1996.

I posted hoping to find someone here who was familiar with the board more than myself. I did learn that i require LOW DENSITY sdram (something i wasn't so sure about at first) but i have learned nothing else about it. It originally ran with a cheapo stick of generic NONAME sdram for about 5 years and then when that one took a dump i stuck in a viking 128mb sdram from another pc i had laying around and it works fine. I suppose i could look up the serial numbers of the viking memory i have and find out more.

I plan to get atleast 256mb of sdram running in this machine. It's gonna be my new linux box. Yay.

Oh and to answer your other question... it will be running an AMD 400 mhz (or a 500mhz if i upgrade the bios - i haven't decided although i own both processors).

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom