PC won't boot past BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usmaak

Solid State Member
PC won't boot past POST

Hi,

I've been having a sporadic problem with my new Intel D915PBL motherboard. Sometimes when I boot my computer, it won't go past POST. I have to sit and look at that stupid Intel integrity graphic. I've been able to get past the POST in these cases a couple of times, but then the computer boots very very slowly.

Well, today I was trying a couple of things. One thing I did was remove all my USB devices. As soon as the last device (MS Bluetooth dongle) was removed, the computer went right past POST and booted correctly.

So, it seems like having something in my USB is causing boot problems. It's really annoying, because I don't feel like having to unplug all my USB devices to get my computer to boot.

One other thing. I had a Belkin 4 port USB hub plugged into my computer. When I turned it on, all four of the USB lights that are usually green were yellow. Even the ones with nothing plugged into it.

Has anyone else seen this problem or found a solution to it?

Thanks

Two suggestions:

Make sure your HDD with the OS is running correctly (I.E. Plugged in to the right IDE slot and that the OS is installed properly)

Secondly check the settings in your BIOS for USB and also disable the splash graphic so you can tell what the POST reports

Hi again,

Ok, I've tried everything. I disabled legacy USB support, as well as switching from hi-speed to fullspeed. My HD is SATA, so no IDE there. My DVD burner is plugged in as Master on the IDE, and the jumper is set correctly. Nothing works. I disabled the splash screen, and it just stops while posting. It says press F2 to go to setup or F12 for network boot. There are no messages indicating the problem. When I pull the Bluetooth adapter out, POST and boot continue as they should. I also tried inserting a Belkin BT adapter, and it worked w/o a hitch.

Any other ideas?

nitestick said:
lol seems like this is just gonna be one of those really inconvenient personality quirks pc's develop that u may just have to live with. i know if i got really annoyed at it id set up a switch system 4 da power 2 da port with the bluetooth adapter
What??

I've noticed that if I plug the BT adapter into a hub, it doesn't seem to be a problem any longer.

Ok, it gets weirder. I have a 4 port hub plugged into the back of the computer. The BT adapter is plugged into the hub. I have a flash drive plugged into a USB port on the front of the computer. I just plugged my Sony DSC-75 digital camera into the second USB port on the front of the computer. When I did this, it brought up the window asking me what I want to do with the new connection. It said that I could download the pics on it, open the folder, view a slideshow, etc... I selected download pics and clicked ok. Then, it brought up another window asking me what I want to do with the flash drive, as if I'd just plugged in the flash drive. I answered that and then got the window for downloading the pics and my mouse and keyboard stopped working. So, I unplugged the stupid bluetooth adapter and plugged it back in to get the mouse and keyboard working again. Then, I got a message that said that one of my devices had failed. It was the camera. So, I went through the whole thing again, and it happened again. Finally, I plugged the camera into the hub, and it worked.

I have no idea what's going on with this thing. I've had three other motherboards with USB enabled in the past (including one Intel board), and I have never seen such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom