PC will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilmesh

Beta member
I'm attempting to replace my motherboard, processor, ram, vid card, and install XP. I installed all of the new components and now my computer does not boot. The power turns on, but there is no beep from bios, and no video output at all. I swapped out the vid card for my old one and got the same results. My first thoughts are that the processor or motherboard are DOA. This is my first Intel processor so I can't swap out that. How can I tell which one is giving me problems, or could there be another issue I'm overlooking?

I've been building and upgrading computers for over ten years, so I'm comfortable with the process. However, I have never ran into this problem before. Any help would be appriciated.
Thank you
Gilmesh

gilmesh said:
I'm attempting to replace my motherboard, processor, ram, vid card, and install XP. I installed all of the new components and now my computer does not boot. The power turns on, but there is no beep from bios, and no video output at all. I swapped out the vid card for my old one and got the same results. My first thoughts are that the processor or motherboard are DOA. This is my first Intel processor so I can't swap out that. How can I tell which one is giving me problems, or could there be another issue I'm overlooking?

I've been building and upgrading computers for over ten years, so I'm comfortable with the process. However, I have never ran into this problem before. Any help would be appriciated.
Thank you
Gilmesh

First of all, just to make sure you arent new at PC's, did you apply the thermal paste when putting the processor in, did you get the motherboard in correctly?

If you have done this before, I am for sure you would already know this, but just to make sure! :)

Yeah, I put the thermal paste on the processor. The motherboard went in without a problem (physical installation). It's a Asrock P4S55FX with a Celeron 2.0, and 512 mb PC3200.

gilmesh said:

Thank you
Gilmesh

I had a friend that had that happen, turned out to be a bad motherboard. All the motherboards lights came on but when he sent the board back the manufacturer told him the board is no good and sent him a new one. Maybe you should contact the board manufacturer.

I also had this problem, I had one of the standoffs that the motherboard mounts onto in the wrong position and it was shorting out the motherboard, it was as simple as removing the motherboard and moving the standoff to the right place and reinstalling the mobo.

Big Chub said:
I also had this problem, I had one of the standoffs that the motherboard mounts onto in the wrong position and it was shorting out the motherboard, it was as simple as removing the motherboard and moving the standoff to the right place and reinstalling the mobo.

Isnt that kinda like dropping a screw over a "live" motherboard? lol

Yeah well I also think my friend damaged his motherboard, in any case it experience symptoms like the ones in this thread. Try it, its a simple test. If not, theres only one thing left, RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom