PC went bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt2122

Beta member
I turned on my PC, there was a bang and now when I try to boot up there is no power at all going to the PC - don't get any green lights on the front to show it is trying to do anything.

Any ideas on what has blown and also how I would go about testing the processor, power unit etc would be appreciated.

Sound's to me like the power supply blew a fuse,The same thing happend when i got my new case,Everything powered on a couple of time's and then i tried starting it up again and heard a big BOOM,Then it completely shut off on me untill i replaced the fuse :(

yea did someone flick the switch on the back of the PSU?. i no a few people that have killed their PSU's like that

also check for grounds in the case, or any kind of bare wire that might be exposed. I built a pc a while back, and somehow one of the pins on a molex connector stuck out and touched the side of my case. it made a nice bang, i looked around and moved it. worked fine. If it was a psu, the bang was probably a fuse, if not that, it was probably a cap, which would be really not good

That bang might be a capacitor (known for being loud when they malfunction)

Either in your PSU or Mobo.

I would check your mobo for burn marks/busted capacitors. And if you find some, replace the mobo, if the mobo is free of burn marks/broken capacitors i would smell the PSU for a burning smell. Maybe you could open it up and take a look.

Simon said:
yea did someone flick the switch on the back of the PSU?. i no a few people that have killed their PSU's like that

Wait, are you not suppose to switch that on before you power up?

Originally posted by Simon
ahhhhhhhhhh....that's the on/off switch. and how would that cause your power supply failure? sheesh......Does the PSU fan come on when you attempt to power up the puter? Barring burn marks on the mobo or powered video card (like a 6600gt etc.) It probably is the PSU. If you have another puter laying around or a friend who wants to be helpful, switch out the PSU and see if your mobo boots. Start there.

Yeah, you probably need a new powersupply. What brand is the one that popped? Do you smell anything, like burning, around it?

If you're really unlucky, the blowing of your PSU (depending on what exactly happened) could have taken other components with it. Not good stuff.

Do you own any compatable power supplies that you could switch out, or know a friend that could lend you one?

The on / off switch does not cause power supply malfunctions' it's their for a reason.

Anyways, it's most likely the PSU, you should be able to smell it (unless it was a fuse). If you have a decent PSU, you will want to claim the warranty. If you have a crap PSU, you should open (don't TOUCH) and see if it really did blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom