pc still randomly resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

icewizard2k4

Baseband Member
a while ago i posted about my pc randomly resetting itself and still cannot resolve the problem.

symptoms: pc will reset itself at random just as if i pressed the reset button (screen goes blank then machine proceeds to boot up)

my configuration:
athlon3200+
512mb ddr400
msi kt6 delta
gigabyte radeon 9600xt 256mb
wd 200gb hd
sg baracuda 50gb hd
thermaltake silent purepower 480w psu
sony dual-layer dvdrw
acer 8x4x32 cdrw
aerocool gatewatch
windows xp pro sp2
12" cold cathode
standard amd heatsink

case is an antec p160 featuring 120mm fans at both the front and rear of the machine. the psu has 2 fans which are always at maximum rpm.

i've tried a fresh install of windows xp pro with sp2 slipstreamed into the install. problem remains.
i've tested the ram with memtest32 and no errors.
i've re-arranged the power cables inside the system to minimise use of splitters etc.
case temperature usaully sits around 29 degrees celcius and the cpu in the high 30's.
i've tried increasing the voltages slightly in case something was temporariily loosing power.

the problem remains. there is no regard as to what i'm doing on the comp, gaming, desktop work, burning a cd, surfing the web. the comp resets itself whenever.

can somebody please help?

If happens quick enough like every 10 minutes..I would eliminate one thing one by one..untill you have the bare minimum devices connected to your PC to make it work. First start with external peripherals then work your way inside the case...cd-rom drives...floppy...extra hard drives...etc etc...

installing avast caused alot of problems so i removed it. it wouldnt even open the scanning window. i do have McAfee Virus Scan 7.1 installed and that isn't detecting anything.

win2kpatcher i'll try your suggestion. its going to be a pain though becuase the machine can go for 2 minutes or an hour before resetting.

to give you a clear view of how random this really could be:

i recently replaced my mobo and processor but then found my computer randomly froze and i had to reboot. i checked everything, literally everything, finally believing it was fixed when i took it home and changed the PSU.

it wasn't connected by the motherboard ethernet port anymore... as soon as i reconnected it (about 3-4 days later) it would again freeze every time i was doing something. put in a pci network card, it's fine.

you must test everything. very slowly. EVERY. THING. not just your main components unfortunately. :( though it probably won't be an existing conflict unless something is just failing.

reboots are usually because of faulty connections between something. are you monitoring the temp at all times and you're sure it's now powering down becaues of that?

do these reboots happen only when doing something or even when idle/doing light work?

i dont know what is causing it to reset. i have no idea.

i do however feel quite confident that its not a heat issue and all the plugs are connected firmly.

also everything in the machine is brand new apart from one of the hard drives and the cdrw.

That sucks man... Maybe your socket is messed up. Plug it into another wall socket or power strip... see if that changes anything. I dunno just a desperate suggestion...

i've had the machine running for 24hrs now just on the desktop with some downloads going. no reset.

just started installing splinter cell and listening to some mp3s and it reset.

games seem to be crashing quite alot. need for speed underground 2 and half life 2 and always unstable. splinter celll pandora tomorrow crashed during fmv.

i've unplugged my controller, the seagate hd, the neon, floppy, the gatewatch and my cdrw. the problem was occuring before i installed the dvdrw so i've left it connected.

only things connected are my two case fans, wd 200gb hd (which i've also only installed the other day) and my video card.

waiting now to see what happens....

Test your memory with Memtest , rule that out as a possible cause.Check for BIOS updates/Chipset Updates/Can you see your MB temperatures or Voltages in BIOS ?

if you have more than one RAM disk, test the PC using each one seperately
also try different slots, it could be a bad slot

another thing is that if you have a reset button on the case, it might somehow be closing the circuit occasionally and resetting the computer
try taking the reset connector out of the motherboard

also check your BIOS to see if it has any option that shuts down the computer if it gest past a certain temperature; disable it if it does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom