PC setup questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC

Beta member
I'm looking into some CG and video editing stuff, and some gaming (duh) and i just wanted some of your opinions on where I might be able to find something for a good price. And whether i should get an AMD 64 or P4. Also, what do you suggest graphic-card wise? Here are some links of computers im looking at, and i would like to have a really nice one, so im guessing that's why the price is a little steep. thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&skuId=6588622&id=1081899794194&cmp=++

the others i was looking at were configs so i cant really put them here. I was looking at www.unitedmicro.com and www.ibuypower.com

gee thanks a lot, i spit my coffee onto my lcd screen when i saw the price for the VAIO . . .

NO, JUST KIDDING

but seriously, had i HAD coffee in my mouth, i would be calling HP tech support . . . which is a punishment in itself . . .

3 words :

BUILD YOUR OWN

that vaio system is more than $700 OVERPRICED . . . dont waste the money . . .

also . . . its kinda hard to say which cpu you should use . . .

intel good for video editing

amd good for gaming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

i'd go with a socket 939 amd athlon 64, reason being, is that the newer p4s run hotter, they usually require newer, untested technology, etc . . .

good video cards . . . eVGA or XFX 6800GT . . .

oh sorry, cant build your own media center pc . . . at least, cant buy the media center os . . .

but you can get other software . . .

um, how intense of CGI are you getting into? professional? 'cause if thats the case, you're gonna be looking at paying more for the graphics card then for the entire system. top of the line CGI pro model and graphic development card WITH full D3D (old ones were primarily OpenGL) cost around $2800. Thats JUST the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom