Pc Restarts itself - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2005, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Pc Restarts itself

Ok heres my problem.. My pc restarts itself, I built this pc myself and ever since about the 5th day it started to restart on its own. No blue screen just completely turns off and comes back on. I've turned off the restart automatically option and it still does it. I've checked the event viewer and it says nothing about an error from the time it happened. Also i have went into the bios and turned everything on FAIL SAFE settings and it still happens. This usually only happens when im playing games. heres the pc specs..

Processor: Amd 64 FX55
Ram: 1gb corsair 512 x2
Video: PNY Geforce 6800gt
Sound: Soundblaster audigy2 platinum
HD: Seagate 160gb sata "had it as a raid but still restarted"
PSU: Thermaltake 400w
I got a fan on my video card, hd, 2 in psu, and another in the back of the case so i dont think its a cooling problem but i could be wrong.

I've ran memtest.. Passed fine, I've run dxdiag and that came up fine.. Spyware/virus is not an issue as my pc is clean..

Im left in the dust with no ideas.. I replaced My mobo, psu, and ram thinking those were the problem but it still happened... Also i have tried running my desktop on other outlets in the house as well as someone elses outlets. So if anyone has an idea it would be great because i have not found one person yet that has understood why this is happening..

Old 05-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi Mike,

in my experience, mysterious shutdowns are usually the result of 1 of 4 things:

Faulty power supply
video card

I'm leaning towards the power supply here. I don't trust software tests. The best technique (if you can) is to replace each one, and separately test the machine changing only one thing at a time. I'm lucky I can keep a lot of used parts around.

Maybe you could borrow a friends PC to use parts for testing.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Replaced power supply.. still happened, tried different LESS POWERFUL video card.. still happened... replaced the ram.. still happened.. Only thing i havent replaced is the processor and thats onyl cuz it costs 800 dollars and i already put 3700 into this pc as is..
Old 05-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Deleted your other post as requested, moved this one. The Tips/Tricks/FAQ forum isn't for asking-for-assistance type posts. Thanks.
Error: Keyboard not attached. Please press F1 to continue. <pre>-------OS----------Gentoo Linux-------<br>------Browser-----Mozilla Firefox-----</pre><form action="http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php" method="get"><input type="text" name="search"> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search the Forums, thanks to Emily"></form>

|||Official Forum Rules|||<hr>
Old 05-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

This same thing happens to my freinds computer too, when playing BF Vietnam.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

What are your voltages on your power supply, measure from a program, BIOS or a multimeter
Old 05-05-2005, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If you've done all that, it must be the processor or board. There must be a warranty on them. Call tech support at the company. If they can determine it is defactive, you should be able to exchange it.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

have u try assembly the whole thing in the open and try it?? one of the rare case is ur chasis is shorting ur system.

rare but do exists
Old 05-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Static_11 Send a message via Yahoo to Static_11

didnt know bout that.... wow... u learn lots here thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Make sure it is not a heat issue with your CPU.

INTEL i7 930
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
Closed Thread