PC rebooting multiple times during POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben_selva

Beta member
I have Win XP SP2 and Windows 98 SE on my PC. I shut down my PC every night.

In the morning when I reboot, during POST, sometimes even after starting Windows, it reboots again and again at least 4 or more times. This is happening for the past week. Finally it always finish POST and boots.

What might be the reason?

Thanks in advance.

Whenever that sort of thing happens to me, I always ask myself what new hardware or software have I installed most recently. Often uninstalling a recent progam will fix it. RealPlayer 10 was one that cause havoc recently. I also tried installing an old parallel port scanner that caused my PC to die if I attempted to logon before it had completely finished loading everything after booting. I removed it, and the problem is gone. (I think it was the old, moldy drivers.)

If that's not it, you could have a part like memory either going bad, is not properly "seated" in the slot or that has a bit of corrosion on the leads. You might try removing and reinserting your memory, PCI cards, and AGP (video) cards. That's been known to fix a few problems. Sometime cards aren't contacting well due to dust or corrosion or have become unseated over time due to the heating up and cooling down of turning on and off the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom