Pc Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2004, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Pc Problem

I'm building an older pc for some kids in my assembly for free from some extra spare parts I have. I have been having trouble with this Hard drive. Well I have tried using FDISK and answered Yes & NO to this: "Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N)". Right after that I get this message "run-time error R6003 - integer divide by 0". Just to let you know I am trying to put Win98se on it and when I use the Win98se boot disk and Start computer with CD ROM support I get this message: "Windows 98 has detected that Drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 Partition. There are several possible causes...and it gives the 3 possible cause". So since FDISK doesn't work with me I tried GDISk. But anything I try with Gdisk gives me this message: "GDISK (E) Cannot access fixed disk 1 -- Too many partitions"

By the way I disabled the boot-virus detection in the BIOS

I really need help as i don't know wat to do anymore, I tried looking for commands and tried them but i get the same response.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you are getting similar responses from both utilities.... you could have a bad hard drive...

Old 04-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I think i got it 2 work, i just went into the bio and restored the defaults and changed 2 things after made the primary master auto and set boot to A, C. Did a low level format.. restarted and tried fdisk and it went throu. turned out that there were no partitions as i thought, so i think all is well now. Just trying another hard drive and seeing if the results are the same. So I thikn I figured it out, just wanted to let u guys know also for future referencese.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yeah, usually when I have a fdisk or format problem then I'll do a low level before getting another HDD. If all else fails, write zeros
If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread