PC powers off on windows startup - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2004, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PC powers off on windows startup

I build my own pc's so I'm no slouch, but this one has got me stumped. A customer of mine gave me a pc they were having probs with. They said it powered off while starting. Their comp. guy replaced the power supply with new 300w supply. Same prob. He told them the m/b was fried. M/b is ABIT VL6, 384mb ram 2 chips, not sure what cpu. I threw a sm HDD in it and loaded windows but as soon as windows started loading up the pc powers off. Pulled the m/b battery out for cpl hrs and back in, same prob. Like I say it was working for them and without making any changes to the pc it just started this power off prob. I know $160 would cure the prob with a new m/b and cpu, but Id like to be sure the m/b is fried first.
Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

check the original bios settings, because there is a setting that says when the cpu becomes too hot it will power down, so if the cpu and the heatsink are not attached properly then the cpu may overheat
My Spyware Site
Under Construction
Closed Thread