PC not booting, beeping at me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definately smacks of either CPU or RAM problem. I know your mobo is dual channel but can you run it as single channel with just one ram module?

If so, I would try that with each module in turn to eliminate whether its a RAM problem. If you can get it to boot, run memtest or something over it.

The siren however suggests that the CPU may have overheated originally. If so, you may have damaged the CPU & hence the no boot problem.

If you can alter the CPU's FSB by jumper/dip switch, then try lowering it a bit & see if that helps.

I have read a lot of bad reports regarding this particular mobo though on the net e.g cpu compatibilty (does not support winchester core), over heating problems, bios config problems etc.

Good luck

I have removed the heatsink and it looks fine there. (still clean coat of thermal compound

I have tried loads of different combinations with the ram. (single and dual.)

I have heard the siren from day one, but it has worked after I had turned it off by the psu, and turned it back on it had worked.

How would I alter the jumpers?

I posted this at anouther forum, and someone said try a different psu.

Could this be it? as I don't want to spend money that I don't have on a wild goose chase.

Trifid said:
I posted this at anouther forum, and someone said try a different psu.

Could this be it? as I don't want to spend money that I don't have on a wild goose chase.

I could easily see your PSU causing problems, but your PC would still boot.

It is so nice having the pc back.

Just for future referance, the solution was to flash the bios. It seems so weird and amazing how the pc did it, as I put the new bios on a floppy, and it flashed it for me. How did it know what to do?....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom