PC on my TV, question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo1mcool

Baseband Member
I currently have this video card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And I would like to set it up so I can play games and watch videos on my big screen in the basement.

If I were to buy Amazon.com: PC to TV Cable (S-Video + 3.5mm to Composite AV) 5 ft: Everything Else would it work alright?

I just want to make sure I'm looking at this correctly.

Also, is there a way to connect my tv up using that cord, and make the TV into a second monitor? Or is it only able to display the main picture?

Thanks!

no, you dont what to do that unless your tv:
a) doesnt have a component input (your card comes with a molex for s-vid to rgb)
b) your tv doesnt have an s video input. if it does, you only need an s video cable.
yes you should be able to run the tv as a second monitor.

For patonB, I'm using a Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards for my motherboard.

The TV I'm looking to display this on is a ~50 inch Mitsubishi bigscreen. The thing is, I chose this wire because the ports are right on the front (very convenient). The biggest reason is the fact that the wall was built around the tv, and so the screen in flush with the wall. If I wanted to use an s-video port, I'd need like a 10 foot wire and 4 foot long arm to reach the port.

Will this cord give me just as good picture quality as other options?

composite video < s-video < RGB (vga) < DVI < HDMI

it wont be quite as good (as s-video...DEFINITELY not as good as DVI or HDMI), but you may or may not notice a difference. really depends on your TV.

composite video < s-video < D-SUB < DVI < HDMI

it wont be quite as good (as s-video...DEFINITELY not as good as DVI or HDMI), but you may or may not notice a difference. really depends on your TV.

i think that is the proper term.. if i remember correctly

and DVI-D/I > HDMI (hdmi is literally the same digital input and output as DVI... just with digital sound included in on that)

i think hdmi's maximum potential is 1920x1200 right now

dvi-d/i can do 2560x1600

and i've hooked up my compy to a regular tv (non lcd) and it looked like HORSE POO.. i suggest not bothering unless its just to duplicate your screen

forgot about d-sub and hmm, i thought hdmi would go to higher rez than dvi, my bad.
but, since TV's dont go to 2560 resolution...isnt HDMI a better pic?
yeah i have my media comp connected to a 36" regular TV and movies look great but the menus and text look like ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom