pC Misconception - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2004, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Exclamation pC Misconception

I am running Athlon Xp 1800+ with WinXp. I have recently bought a new Vid Card. Geforce FX 5200 and also installed a fresh windows. Now for 5 days I have been generating this problem. My keyboard dont work properly. I had a pop window that says I have a serious virus detected in my computer but I didnt believe becos I thought it is the normal pop up windows so I cancell the thing. Now my computer dont function well.

This is what happens.

It disable my Keyboard from detected from the bios, so in order for me to make it work I have to shake the keyboard cord while pressing F1 key so the window could load. But then when the windows load, if I touch any key from the keyboard the computer freezes and I have to shutdown the computer. So I have to wait at least 5-10 mins before starting the computer so the keyboard could detect normally but then some keys dont work, like (colon, p, as you notice I copy the p from previous document and paste it. I try to reinstall the window but did not becos the keyboard wont let me scroll down in the bios so I can load from CD or A drive. I have tried to run several Virus programs including Ad-ware program but nothing helps. Can anyone please determine what might be wrong with the system. [COLOR=darkred][COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

Old 02-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Soloman02

Try taking out the battery on the motherboard to reset the cmos settings. if that doens't work then try switching the Hard drive to another computer and if it sees the keyboard on that comp, run some virus software, but it seems like a virus may have gotten to your bios some how. and if nothign that you can think of works, as well as other suggestions, you can always take the computer to your local tech shop or the place where you purchased it(unless you built it your self)

Desktop specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+@ 200x11 - EPoX 8rda3I - Thermaltake 420watt silent PSU - 2x512MB PNY PC3200(DualChannel) - TT HSF - PNY 5900SE, 128MB DDR, 256-bit - - Toshiba SD-R5002: DVD-RW - NEC DVD-RW - 2 Antec 80mm fans - 1 Delta 92mm fan - 1 Antec 120mm fan- 1 TT 120mm fan - Windows XP Pro - WD special edition 80GB 7200 RPM- Seagate 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache - Onboard Sound - Onboard Ethernet

Notebook specs:
ACER Travel Mmate 4000LCi - Intel Pentium M 710 - 15\" XGA TFT - 512MB DDR333 - 40 GB HD - DVD-rom/CD-RW Drive - WLAN 802.11b/g - Winxp Home - Intel Extreme Graphics - Average Battery Life: 4-5 hours - 6.4 lbs
Old 02-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The cheapest thing right now have you tried a new keyboard? Maybe it's gone to a nother world.
Closed Thread