PC making loud noise, could it be the PS or something else??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyluli

Baseband Member
I built my own pc about a year ago. Lately whenever I boot the machine up it makes this weird buzzing, clicking noise. It generally stops after it gets fully booted up. Then it is quiet, but sometimes it will start making a buzzing noise after it has been on for awhile (I leave it on all the time). At first I was worried it might be the hard drive, but I have not had any real trouble with the machine. I figured if it were the hard drive, it probably would have died by now or I'd have some serious issues. So, what do you think? It would have to be the power supply or one of the internal fans right? Should I replace my 400 watt power supply?

Thanks!

Its probably a fan. I would take it out and take a look at it and put it back. You first have to find out wich fan it is.

I have had similar problems. I used to hit the fan a few times wih a screwdriver and it fixed the problem. I am not recommending it though. It was my PSU fan. Maybe u should clean it. Be careful.

BTW, it could also be your CD-ROM drive. Make sure there's no CD in the drive and see if the noise stops.

TheMajor said:
Its probably a fan. I would take it out and take a look at it and put it back. You first have to find out wich fan it is.

Yeah, might be the fan. In most computer cases that come with fans you get sleeve bearing fans. These generally last about a year and then you have to replace them. If you do replace them, I'd recommend getting ball bearing fans. These last years and run much quieter!

does sound like hd to me as my secondry hd is doing same thing they do tend to make these weird noises just before they go i should know this is my third one lol

Hey All,
I think I figured out where the noise is coming from. There is a very small fan connected to a heat sink on the mother board. The sound seems to be coming from it. I'm not sure what this fan is for or if it can be replaced. Anybody know? It is NOT the fan over the CPU. The fan is located next to the CPU over another chip. The motherboard is a Gigabyte 8PE667.

A picture of the same board can be found here:
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/gigabyte/8pe667/8pe667p1.htm

It's the little square gold colored fan next to the CPU space that says Gigabyte on it.

Thanks

I can't imagine the fan would cost much to replace. Do you think Best Buy or Comp USA would carry it?

By the way, would it be safe for me to unplug this fan and then boot up the PC to see if the noise stops? Or would I end up frying something important??

Shouldn't hurt to test it out.. It may overheat if you continue to use it without a fan. Also, I am sure you could find a replacement online somewhere for dirt cheap. Or better yet if you contact the maker of the motherboard you could probably order one directly from them for a couple of bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom