PC gaming experience to be whooped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When consoles first come out, they always have the upper hand. It was the same way when XBOX and PS2 came out, the PC couldn't produce that kind of graphics. But give it time, and the PC will heavily surpass these new consoles.

Thank you beedubaya. Not to mention the fact the console users have to to put up with propritary BS and everything costing at least 20% more than it should. They do have there uses though. For example it is much easier to set up a 16 person Halo party than it to set up a LAN party of the same size.

GrimReaper23 said:
NO the Xbox 360 is supposedly to have a video card with a huge amount of Pipelines like 54 or something like that.

check the Xbox specs, its on the original Xbox thread here somewhere from a couple days ago here on TF, I posted the specs so everyone could look, yet most just skipped over that and started making stupid assumptions

the thing has integrated graphics with 10Mb of vid ram, 3 3.2ghz processors that can run 2 threads each

as to the PC getting beat, in some ways they already have been for a long time

The one thing holding the game machines back is TV, always has been,always will be, until they require RGB monitors like PC's do, that happens and look out.

All the graphics horsepower gaming PC's need comes from the fact that an RGB monitor has much better resolution and bandwidth than a TV, game boxes dont need to deal with that so they dont need as much graphics power, but they do need all the CPU power they can get, the new Xbox addresses that very issue with 1 teraFLOP of power.

PC's will still be able to beat these next gen consoles even now. Are we forgetting motherboards that support quad dual core opterons with 32 gigs of RAM and dual 512mb 6800 ultras that will provide 32 REAL pipelines. Of course this would probably cost over $30,000, but I'm just saying it CAN be done.

I agree with the TV/RGB Monitor issue with consoles. Why doesn't some company smarten up and start making, console compatible CRT monitors... Like 20", 21" & 22" monitors?

THe graphics would be sooo much better...

I dont know about you guys, but IMO a mouse will always be better than any of those game controllers. I'd rather spend money on a computer that can do more than just watch DVD's and play games.

Joeisalsocool said:
I dont know about you guys, but IMO a mouse will always be better than any of those game controllers. I'd rather spend money on a computer that can do more than just watch DVD's and play games.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 have USB ports. I wouldn't be surprise if companies like Logitech and if not MS and Sony develop mice specifically for the gaming consoles. I think this is actually a good strategy for Logitech and Razer because there will be demand for them. Not to mention these consoles will be more powerful than any PC gaming machine for quite some time and much more easier to transport. In terms of tournament play I think console will replace PC permanently considering all the PC titles showing up on consoles now. Consoles is where most gaming money is made. PC might soon become only a home for console game ports. I wouldn't be surprise. Even Bioware which started out as PC game developers and are one of the best ever in the biz are becoming like this. Releasing console games first and then porting them to PC.

As for their looks, aesthetics are important in terms of marketing. The PS3 looks sleek, the Xbox 360 looks trendy. But I think that is how they want to market the consoles. PS3 more towards tech, Xbox 360 more towards pop culture. Of course there will be a fusion but like I said before MS marketing strategy mimics Apple's for IPod. Let's be truthful here the IPod is not that good. The sound quality and battery life sucks compared to Creative Zen. But IPod is "hip", it is "trendy". All the celebs use them and Apple uses tremendous product placement as part of their marketing strategy. Blade 3 anyone? I wouldn't be surprise if MS does this too. Trendiness sells that is why IPod dominates in its industry. Heck one of the selling points for Xbox 360 s that it is compatible with IPod or whatever I think so that shows they are trying to catch that crowd.

Overall, the PS3 seems to me to be more of a multimedia machine than just a gaming console. The Xbox 360 seems to be a cool gaming console. But MS is REALLY smart this time around, look at how many games that are announcing and licensing. They really learned their lesson. Will be an interesting war.

Eh, the iPod is very good, the quality is awsome. I've heard the Creative Zen and to me they are just about the same. As for Xbox and PS3, they are both made for one purpose, to make money for Sony and Microsoft. Anyways you look at it, at the end of the day its all about money.

-Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom