This PC is EVIL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd32

Baseband Member
I have a PC that needs reformatting badly. The owner told me they had a virus and the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work.
I got the PC home booted it up and got a BIOS error "Floppy disk
fail (40). I bypassed it for the time being and continued to load windows. I saw they had the Leviathan Virus which infected the WINDRV.EXE file..I managed to get the keyboard working and got rid of the virus by deleting the file alltogeather. I installed windows ME over a previous installation of win ME and this corrected the mouse issue but still had a few errors on startup
including the BIOS floppy one. I figured the PC needed a complete format since they have had the Pc for two years and had never done one. With their current BIOS I can't boot to DOS
just by rebooting and need to do it by means of a boot disk but the floppy isn't working and they don't have a recovery CD. I checked the floppy cables and tried a drive I have here and still didn't work so I'm thinking it might be the Mobo controller. Is there any way to test the controller on the motherboard without
pulling it and trying another one? seems like alot of work for a simple format. The PC is also a compaq which dosen't make things any easier.:confused:

I can't wipe the drive because I can't boot to dos to do a complete
format unless the floppy is working. This particular BIOS for some reason won't give me the option to boot to command prompt only
so I need a boot disk in the A:\

Whew..did it! I put a copy of XP on and had it format the drive before installation. Floppy still dosent work though. Tried two others in it with no luck so I'm thinking it might be the motherboard controller. Thanks guys/gals appreciate your help once again:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom