PC to DVI LCD Monitor and LCD TV - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default PC to DVI LCD Monitor and LCD TV

Hello,

I wanted to know how to connect my computer to my DVI LCD monitor and LCD TV (HDMI) at the same time. Once connected how would I toggle between the two? Would the sound come out of my TV speakers when I have the TV toggled and would the sound come out of my computer speakers with the DVI LCD monitor toggled? If anyone could recommend manufacture/model of a good videocard and soundcard that would make this work I would appreciate it. Also, would I need a TV Tuner to be able to toggle back and forth? Does anyone have any recommended manufacture/model of TV Tuners if I do need one to be able to toggle?

Thank you!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: PC to DVI LCD Monitor and LCD TV

OK, let's break this down.

What are you connecting this to? Computer specs.

You connect any number of LCDs to your video card that it allows. DVI/VGA/HDMI/S-Video
You toggle between the two by moving your mouse from one screen to the other, depending on which orientation you pick. Use Windows' Scrren resolution.
You can configure, in Sound Properties, where the audio is going out. You can set it to onboard or HDMI.
You can just use your onboard sound.
Most video cards these days have both DVI and HDMI. I have a Radeon HD5770.
You do not need a TV Box.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you MindoverMaster,

It seems you answered all of my questions. I would just need a videocard that has DVI for the PC LCD and HDMI to the TV LCD. I would have to change between LCD's by using the screen resolution panel. I'm going to look into the ATI Radeon series. I was thinking that the TV Tuner would allow the LCD switching via a remote control. But that just seems to allow for TV broadcasts through my computer which is not what I'm looking for.
Here are the specs of what I do know:
Windows XP SP-3
2 GHz. CPU
2GB RAM
Videocard AGP (needs DVI/HDMI/S-Video) Need to upgrade
Soundcard is integrated

Thank you again!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Let me give you an idea.

I run dual DVI LCDs. Both run at the same time on one computer. To put my mouse pointer on the other screen, I move my pointer to the right of my screen. It then transfers over to my other LCD, no hot-keys or software.