pc bottleneck? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2005, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default pc bottleneck?

Hey experts.. need some help here... had some prob with my fren's seagate hdd.. was transferring some large dvd file to another hdd... a western digital one, then the whole com hung... later i couldn't boot up to windows... had a blue screen..

anyway, i formatted it and started to install xp home afresh... thank goodness i had data saved somewhere else... ok, here's the problem... the installation took very long... started in the morning and installed finish at 3 in the afternoon.. and when i was just using the com, without any additional apps, it was so slow.. took me close to an hour just to wait for the setup for avg and install it... wondering wat is wrong.. could anyone help me? sorry for being long winded...

the setup of the pc:
MSI MS-6728
P4 2.4
2 x 512 Cosair PC3200 (VS512MB400)
seagate ata v 60GB - data on a 30 GB partition and this was the one i installed xp home first then switched to western digital cos i thought the hdd was dying cos the installation was so slow...
western digital WD120 120GB - installed xp home but took damn long to install and took a using of the windows took very long for a 2.4Ghz processor...
Imation DVD-R 16x

Would really appreciate all u guys help.. thanx!

Old 07-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lintball

what kind of harddrive set up do you have ? do you have them in a raid configuration..? I would check for viruses/spyware

Old 07-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

i dont think that there would be any viruses/spyware as he formatted didnt he. i would try formatting again.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanx dudes for the help.. i took out the batt from the mobo and hus resetting everything.. the bios and all.. now it runs smoothly.. didn't think it was the hdd cos it was running really fine and i tested it out on other coms... anyway thanx for the help...
Old 07-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to timmer

but there can be viruses and spyware left on the hdd since reforamating doesnt put everything back to 0 or 1 it skips sectors so there for there could still be viruses and spyware just for your guyzes info thats prolly not the case here
Intel p4 HT 3.0GHz
1 16x Toshiba dvd burner
2 sticks of corsair ddr2 533mhz 512mb
GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
480W thermaltake
Old 07-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

oh, then how do i actually get rid of such viruses?

Closed Thread