PC/Audio hardware help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcanthony

Beta member
Hi

Im putting together a sound system based around my computer but i dont know where to start as far as hardware goes. Im looking for some advice on what to do that will not send me into bankrupcy.

My computer (In my office) stores all my music on my hard drive, i want it to power 10 speakers (4 in my bedroom, 4 in my living room and 2 in my office next to my PC)

I already have a 5.1 surround sound system in my living room running off my TV, so instead of adding another 4 speakers into my living room i could use 4 of the 5.1 speakers (if this possible). I also already have 2 powered monitors which are next to my PC connected to my PC with a jack like you get on earphones.

The problem i have is how to power and control the speakers. I know the 2 powered monitors in my office are ok connected to the sound output on my motherboard, this is ok. Its the 8 other speakers that im struggling with. I was thinking of buying two 4 channel amplifiers and connecting them to my PC but here are my problems with this:

1. Which amplifiers can i buy, i cant find any places online, just keep coming across car audio amps. Can i use car audio amps??? i know they are 12v but will they work if i get a 240v-12v transformer??? (Im from the UK by the way hence 240v mains)

2. How do i hook an amplifier(s) to my PC? I dont have a sound card, i use the motherboard. Will i need a sound card and if so, can anyone recommend one?

3. How can i control the amplifiers from the PC. I know if i get Hi-Fi seperate amps they will probably come with remote controls but what if they dont and what about car amps? I really need to be able to control them from Windows XP (My current operating system). I need to control from Windows XP because the system im setting up will have my Monitor in my office, and 2 LCD tv's, one in the living room and one in my bedroom and i have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse so i will be able to surf the net, play games, control my music from any room.

So when ive got people round my house, having a party or something and i want the music coming out of my living room speakers but not in my bedroom, you will understand why it will be easier to turn an amp off from windows and not have to manually walk into the office upstairs and turn the amp off.

So thats basically what im needing help with. There is nowhere else i can get help except finding a nice forum online full of audio experts. Please take a bit of time to help me. I will really appreciate it.

Thank you

Marc (Derby, UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom