Parts to NOT buy - Page 10 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2005, 12:48 AM   #91 (permalink)
The Grinch

yea i have a cheap Lite-on 16x DVD burner and it works great

Old 07-04-2005, 01:23 AM   #92 (permalink)
True Techie

is'nt Lite-On made bysome big company like pioneer or sony or one of those, the only drives i have had are Lite-On's and i don't see a problem with them. I've had no issues at all with them and i haven't even upgraded the firmware.

AMD Athlon64 3500+ @ 2.2ghz
GIGABYTE K8V Ultra-pro
1gig generic ram (2x512mb)
XFX Geforce 6600 GT 128mb
80gig segate serial ATA HDD
LG Lightscribe DVD burner
Old 07-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #93 (permalink)
Super Techie

I must agree here !

Originally posted by Trifid
Abit AV8 3rd eye.

They have some dodgy BIOS's which either have a dodgy temp sensor, or they can't overclock with the PCI lock on.
WIN XP PRO-Abit AV8 3rd Eye, AMD Athlon 64 3000+1.8Ghz OC\'d to 2.3Ghz
OCZ PC 3500 2 x 512mb dual channel Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Edition cooled by thermaltake mem fan
40GB maxtor 7200 rpm,120GB Sata Seagate 7200 rpm
Radeon 9600 Xt cooled by TT Fanless heatpipes
Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM)
Sony SDM-P82 18\"
MAG InnoVision XJ700T
Liquid cooling- BIX2,MCP 650 12V inline pump,swiftech MCW 6000 block,1/2\" Primoflex tubing
Case-ThermalTake Armor VA 8000 Black
PCMark 4606/CPU 4516/Mem 4951/Graphics 2381/HDD 3267
Old 07-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #94 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok, this one ain't mentioned and it's imperrative! Don't buy any sapphire vidcards with a black pcb! they use some hella-cheap ram that I've had die on me in 3 hours! rediculous eh? rma'd that, got one with the blue pcb.. diddn't think the diff would be big, turns out the blue ones they used samsung ram.. thank god cause my vidcard's fine now. Btw, hint that your vidcard's ram is dying is if you get constant screen corruption as if you were ocing.

Now, someone said tomshardware is biased. For benchmarks yes. but probably cause they don't know that HL2 is ati optimized, and doom3 is nvidia optimized along with someothers. I say you can't trust 3DMark too much either.. both nvidia and ati have been caught cheating in the past on 3DMark. I think far cry's probably the cleanest benchmark they had as it's not geared towards either company. In general, it seems nvidia runs better with AA and AF on, and ati tends to do better when just running crude. Heh, I remember in the past when it was the other way around. Ok, on the pci-e front, nvidia seems to be doing better than ati. Nvidia's thriving on their 6600gt wich I must say brought some faith back to me for nvidia. due to 2 really bad vidcard purchases which I suggest avoiding:

Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 (a geforce2 ti can take it down.. it's pretty much a geforce2 with 64mb of ram..)

and the Nvidia FX5600. When I bought it, the radeon 9600 pro was $20 cad more, and offered 15F/S more... and for a price gap that small? easily worth it. Plus, the fx5600 ran like junk when there was quite a bit of particle effects going.
Later-A-Much, and LONG LIVE THE D!
æ ThE_MarÐ
Old 07-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #95 (permalink)
Junior Techie

any cheap case. almost all of the suck. they use metal that bends easily. after my last cheap powmax case i just went ahead and bought a lian-li pc65 and i will never go back. easier to install and everything is removeable(love it)
MCSE Certified (passed on second try lol). But am only 15.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #96 (permalink)
Super Techie

This not a product in particular but rather a group of one that any one that plan to do any gaming should avoid.

A motherboard or prebuilt computer that has NO agp or pci-e slot. PLEASE ask this question before buying anything if you ever plan to use the computer for gaming.

I get so many people wanting to upgrade there video card to play a game like battlefield 2 or doom 3 but has no good options because all they got is PCI slots.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #97 (permalink)
Newb Techie

someone said dont get any x800 radeons?
would i be better off getting the cheaper x700?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #98 (permalink)
Junior Techie

To add to the Maxtor issue, I've been running a WD 80gb drive in my old computer for about 4 years now, and have a raptor and a 160gb WD drive running in this computer now, no problems thus far. My friend has had two maxtor drives give out on him in the past 3 years, so it seems they're rather hit-or-miss.

I'd steer clear of Maxtor for the most part.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #99 (permalink)
Super Techie

Nah, the x800 Radeons rock. Don't get any ATI's with the SE prefix, means special edition, as in cheap versions of the cards that are slower than the original for people who are too afraid to crank out a few extra bucks for the better version. I suggest avoiding ones like the x300 series, I bet a 9800 Pro would beat it down, and it's cheaper. Oh don't say junk like "PCI-E cards are always faster than AGP" cause that's not true. For now, the vidcards aren't using maybe 3/4ths of the potential of PCI-E. So for now I'm gonna live with my (soon to be bought r360 core for $140 cad) 9800 Pro, and wait until the PCI-E cards are more worth my cash. Cause their preformance-to-price ratio is pretty poor.
Later-A-Much, and LONG LIVE THE D!
æ ThE_MarÐ
Old 07-12-2005, 06:43 PM   #100 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Cheap 5.1channel Sound Cards, anything that you think. oh that looks cheap, why is that soo cheap.. the reason is there useless. ive had 3 cheap sound cards under £10 - ($20ish) my reasons:

1) work fine to begin with but either stop working or sound becomes unclear and "fuzzy"

2) Quality of sound is never as good as a reliable well known card.

Closed Thread