Parts to NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
desiboi said:
Do you work for Rosewell?

No. I do not. I don't think they hire 13 year olds unless they use child labor in a different country where it is leagal.

EDIT: After hearing about the rosewill psu, I might go buy a different one. I have used two though, and they worked very good.
The case (tu-155) is a awesome case though. It is very good quaility and only costed me 50 dollars.

V3 Volari XT.

Bought it on reviews it had HDTV output and it was pure crap. Trouble with 1920x1080 resolution and the card was way too slow even in 2D. Stay away.

So dont use a flash, rather simple. Is it a digital camera? You can set it to night, which will set the flash off a second before the camera takes the picture. You use that at night when you are taking a picture against something shiny when using the flash.

Mmkay. Took me a while to read all this thread, and I have seen a lot of valid points, and a lot of stuff that is off a bit. I have a lot of experience with different parts, being a computer tech myself. I work on dozens and dozens of machines in a week, and build at least 5 new machines every other week nowadays. I'll touch on all kinds of different parts.

MOTHERBOARDS

PC Chips are pretty much crap, but you get what you pay for. They are the cheapest boards on the market atm, if I'm not mistaken.

ECS boards, especially the LGA 775 series, are susceptible to burning up a bit more easily than most other boards, we have run into a lot of problems with the ECS line, all different kinds of mobos, not naming all the model names.

EpoX boards are DECENT, but I wouldn't trust them in my own machine. I havent dealt with a lot of them, but the few I have dealt with have been poorly made. I may be assuming a lot, but having seen maybe half a dozen different models, seeing the same type of build, I condemn most of the line.

And to comment on the guy that said a Gigabyte mobo had Foxconn parts, a lot of mobos have foxconn parts. Not just that one. Gigabyte has been very good to my customers, as has Foxconn.

and ASUS boards are sheer joy.

PROCESSORS

Obviously, stay away from Celeron. They are just would-be P4's that didn't pass the Pentium test. True, I have seen some that do work alright, and we have built some celeron machines, including from the D series, and they work...but I wouldn't want it in my machine. For a budget system, a Sempron works a lot better than a Celeron, I havent had many problems at all with Sempron, but again, I wouldn't want one in my personal system.

And I would stay away from LGA 775. Interesting locking system, but the heatsink/fan combo causes way too much stress to the motherboard with the way it connects.

RAM

I don't know why you guys don't like Rosewill, they make very good budget RAM in my experience. RAM to stay away from would be All Components (though the SD-RAM series seems to work alright) and pqi. But with RAM, most of it does it's job, no matter what, and those brands I mentioned aren't HORRIBLE, just lower performance than other brands.

NETWORKING TOOLS

mmkay. Netgear routers are huge pieces of crap. Buy a D-link. And Belkin Wireless Desktop PCI Network Adapters...you know, the think you stick a PCMCIA networking card into for your desktop PC...are horrible. First off, they only work with the Belkin networking cards. Second, only 11mbps. Third, they almost never work. Belkin networking products in general are just...bad.

HARD DRIVES

Seagate HDDs are IMHO the most reliable drives around. Most Maxtor and Samsung drives I have had major issues with in the shop here. WD has some issues, but they are overall a good drive, especially the Caviar series.

And as another note, SATA, while it is faster, can also be harmful to your motherboard. The SATA inputs arent put on the motherboards very well, and can stress it out more than you like...if yu use SATA, make sure you dont fiddle with the cable much at all, trust me.

CASES

The worst case I have ever seen, the way it is built and shipped, here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811195014 HORRIBLE. Every case we have gotten has broken parts, major dents, seriously flimsy material, and a lot of sharp ends. The last one we got came with a PSU that didn't have an ATX 12V plug (the square 4-prong one for the mobo), hence, making it completely useless. Upon talking with others, ASYS as a brand is just crap. And Powmax isn't too great, I have a Powmax case and it works pretty well, but i have some issues with the fact that it is a bit flimsy.

HEATSINK/FAN COMBOS

The stock fans that come with the AMD 64 chips, you may want to replace. Anything 3200+ and under is alright with it, but for the higher end ones, go with a new heatsink/fan combo.

Sorry for the uber-long post. All of these are based on personal experience, no fan-boy comments whatsoever. :p

I just want to know a little more about the ASUS and AMD post.
What makes you say AMD Processors dont go with the new A8N?
Do you have experience with this build? Have you heard bad things about the combo, and if you have, from where?

lostmanTech said:
Def dont buy emachines....."not a fan boy comment" i have two because my dad loves going to best buy and ignores my cries for a decent computer. They both just have parts that suck....aka bestec psu that doesn't support good graphics card.....aka anything over fx5700. my cdrom exploded....literally....i put a disc in all of a sudden a sound like a bomb was falling occurred and bam....smoke.....the cd was also in a million separate pieces. funny as hell now that i think of it.

I dont know if this qualifies for a 'fan boy comment' or not, but let me tell you something about eMachines. There not amazing computers first off. But there a better alternative to Dell. Dell seems to make systems that work, eMachines seems to build them to perform. Simply put, Dell and eMachines both build a lot of crap, but eMachines does a better job with their crap. I've also seen some amazing eMachine computers, and some amazing prices. On the high end, Dell wins with their extream XPS machines. But most people would do better buying a more expensive eMachine than a Dell of the same cost.

$$$ for a Dell = AMAZING!
$$$ for a eMachine = Great!
$$ for a Dell = Expensive crap
$$ for a eMachine = A nice machine
$ for a Dell = CRAP
$ for a eMachine = Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom