Partitioning 80GB..... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Partitioning 80GB.....

I've just bought a new computer with a 80GB harddrive. I've never had a harddrive bigger than 6GB until now. I am trying to figure out what's a common way of partitioning a 80GB harddrive.

I kind of want the OS on a seperate partition so that I can format it and reinstall it without losing a lot of my data/mp3/mpegs etc...

Do people store OS and apps on one and all there downloads on the other? I can change the dfault download directories to a different partition for most programs right??

Old 01-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

I keep my HD @80g but alot of people will partition them like you said to isolate programs & OS's. I hear Partition Magic is the way to go. I use to load all my games onto a separate partition and yes you can toggle the download directory files to whichever drive ya want. I's sure there will be other helpful ideas coming right away. Good Luck

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-8150
16 GB Ram
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 01-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to D4RK GR4YL3N

its also easer installing linux (or any 2nd os) if your harddrive already is partitioned, so yes, i would partition it to make room for the future.
Athlon 64 @ 2.3 ghz
Chaintech mobo
9800 Pro
1 gig RAM
2x 160 gig sata
Audigy 2 zs
Old 01-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Partitioning 80GB.....

what's a common way of partitioning a 80GB harddrive.

from a 120GB disk i allocate a 13GB primary NTFS partition for winXP and a 99GB NTFS to store data. i create an image of the 13GB winXP using ghost and store that image on 99GB NTFS.

so whenever winXP corrupts it takes 5 minutes to restore it using Ghost with all programs and settings intact the way it was when image was created. if you want to dual boot you will want to create another primary partition, i have no use for dual boot so only 2 partitions.

when i restore nothing is lost on 99GB, it only overwrites the 13GB that winXP was installed on. make sure the data partition is a logical drive inside an extended partition to avoid booting problems since you must set an NTFS partition as a system or boot partition using winXP disk managment. the reason is that you cannot boot from a logical drive.

i can explain what to do if you tell me your operating system, or you could take the easy road and use partitionmagic which is not free.
Closed Thread