Partition Problem! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2005, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Partition Problem!

hi, I got a nasty problen here..

When I came to my PC in the morning, it had an error in the bottom rigth corner, something about delayed write failed to C:\ ... and the whole system was dead frozen. So I restarted, and it wouldnt boot. I then proceeded to boot to my other hard drive, to an older install of WinXP (I have 5 drives in my PC) and it saw my other "busted" 120Gb drive, and it had no problem reading 3 of the 4 fat32 partitons that are on it, but not the 1st one, or the C:. That one it said was not formatted. So I opened up partition magic 8, and it showed that patition correctly, 15Gb, FAT32, 4.5Gb in use.. So I tried to scan it for errors, and it said Error 2004 An invalid cluster was found in the directory entry" and then right after "Critical 501 Cross-Linked files were found, and then poped up another dialog "Error 7 Operation cancelled by user." I didn't cancel anything, but go figure... Tried convert to NTFS, but it pulled up Windows utility, and that doesn't see it as FAT32, sees it as RAW and refuses to deal with it. And Partition magic sees it as the correct partiton, but wont fix the errors.. Is there a partition repairing program out there that can plow through this?
(I figure since partition magic sees it as a correct partiton with correct amount of data, then the stuff is still sitting there)

Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

If your looking to recover files, try "Easy Data Recovery"
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Closed Thread