partition a new drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default partition a new drive

I have looked around but can not find what I am looking for. Am needing info on partitioning two new drives to set up in a Raid1 for gaming mostly. And Is there enough perfomance boost to set up a Raid5? Thanks

Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: partition a new drive

For Raid5 you'll need a minimum of 3 drives. Note Raid1 will not gain you any performance boosts, it's strictly for redundancy.
The setup of that raid will depend on whether your motherboard has a raid controller built in (hardware raid) or whether you have to do it through the OS (software raid).

If your motherboard supports it, you should create the array during the boot process. You'll have to enable the raid option in the BIOS (accessed by pressing DEL or F2 usually) then after that you should see a new option during boot that prompts you to press Ctrl+I or something similar to access the RAID setup menu.

If your motherboard doesn't have a built-in raid controller, you'll need to do it through the OS. If this is the case, post up what OS you're running.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

With two drives raid 0 will give you a nice performance boost!
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks. My MB supports Raid. Just have to figure out the how to part. I have already ordered two new drives but I am going to get one more for the Raid5 I think. This is the drive I am getting. Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1TB Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs at TigerDirect.com Will be this weekend before I get to work on it.

Oh yeah, What about the partition part? Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

You do have currently another drive you are adding? For RAID5, you need 3 drives.

Just use GParted, link to guide in my sig. You need each drive to be partitioned on their own.

There should be another screen after POST that you go into RAID setup after a key stroke. Some BIOS can have a "link" to it.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You can setup a hardware raid without initialising the disks with a 3rd party program. Just whack 'em in, enable raid in bios, then set them up using the raid config utility which will show up during boot.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1TB Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs at TigerDirect.com On the connections on the back of this drive, the one on the left is for power, the one in the middle is the SATA, but what is the one on the right for? Do I need to have it connected? Thanks
CPU-6100 3.3 Ghz Black Edition, MB ASUS CrossHair V, GPU Galaxy GTX 560ti X2, G.Skill Sniper 1866 4x4GB, PSU SilverStone SST-ST1000-P, WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB x2, Monitor ASUS 258VE LED BackLit, ASUS 12x BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer, IWIN BUC case, SteelSeries MERC KeyBoard,NetGear DGND3700 N600 Wireless ADSL2+
Old 09-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

No, it will work fine with power and SATA cord. Don't worry about that. I believe it is used for WD factories to test it. Not sure on that. You'll be fine.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

It's also for stuff like switching from 3gbps to 1.5gbps

Closed Thread