Partition Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty0601

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I just reformatted my computer and installed XP pro, from xp home. Anyway, I partitioned my drive, so one is about 6GB and the other 67GB and I wanted to install windows on one of my partitions and all my files, documents, desktop etc, on my other partition.

So right now all my stuff is on the 6GB, and the 67GB is empty. I tried moving my "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings" to from C:(my Windows Partition) to X:(My Files Partition) but access is denied or what ever (In
otherwords I can't move it).

I was just wondering, how can I do this.

Remember, I only want windows on C:, I want everything else ("Program Files", "Documents And Settings" etc..) on X:

Cheers,
-RuSty13

Since "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings," are tied to the Windows XP operating system, there is going to be problems if you just try to move them. Windows saves all of its settings in Documents and Settings, not just your documents. You can move "My Documents" to drive X, though. Create a new folder for your documents on drive X. Then right click My Documents on the desktop and click properties. You will see a "target folder location" box. Put the path for your new folder in that box, and that new folder will become your My Documents.

Program Files and Documents and Settings are part of windows, it just doesn't work that way Rusty0601. if you need more space for windows than resize your partition or remake it.

make sure the partition that you DIDNT install windows on is properly formatted before you start trying to transfer anything over. To do this go into control panel, adminstrative tools, computer management, then click on the Disk Management tab (located underneath storage).

Right click drive x and click format. When this has done you can then transfer files onto your partition. Like the above post mentioned though, you cant just transfer your program files over too x. You can start only installing all your new programs to drive X, however the ones that are already there cant be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom