parameter is incorrect??

Status
Not open for further replies.

satnone

Solid State Member
heres my problem.. i have a 3 gig P4 with windows 2000 server.. 2 physical hard drives both on the primary ide.. a maxtor 80 GB with my OS on it and a western digital 200 GB with all my important files stored on it.. well a few days ago i started getting errors that said my files r unreadable and corrupt.. this continued happening till i got so many i had to restart the computer.. after starting back up i went to that drive in explorer and i noticed the volume label was now gone.. and when i clicked on it i got this error g:\ is not accessible the parameter is in correct.. i tried chkdsk and it did not work.. i noticed that it says there is no file system anymore.. i took the drive out and put it in my other computer and it asked me if i wanted to format it.. so i put it back in the old computer and it still didnt work so then i tried about 6 different data recovery programs and recovered about 20 files out of hundreds of thousands.. i have another WD 200 GB with an exact copy of everything that was on that drive i keep as a backup.. i hooked that one up to the secondary ide and started burning all of it onto dvds.. when i almost had everything copied.. my windows explorer froze up for some reason and i had to restart.. when i went to the backup drive in explorer i noticed that one also had no volume label anymore.. when i clicked on it i got the same error.. i tried to recover that drive but i got nothing at all this time.. thank god i copied most all of my files to dvd.. i thaught i could never lose my files since i have so much backup but this is insane... the biggest problem now is that i dont know whats causing this.. is it my OS or is it bad hard drives?? ive done quite a few virus scans with 2 antivirus programs.. norton and bit defender and everything came up clean.. i also ran a few hard drive tests and they all said my drives were working ok... what is the deal? can somebody please help me ive tried everything and searched everywhere online.. i dont know what to do anymore!!

i jsut baught this intel mother board a few months ago.. the ram is a few months old too.. i got 2 bad sticks in a row at first.. but that problem was taken care of.. the last i tested them they were both fine.. i use memtest86

another thing i did is reformatted one of the drives and after a while it started getting those errors again.. this time some files and folders even dissapeared completely.. this time i ran chkdsk before rebooting and it didnt work.. but this time i got an error.. so i rebooted and then it ran after all.. it found tons of errors and i guess it fixed them.. it was fine for a little while and i took the drive out and put it in my other computer again and when i booted up and tried to go to that drive i got an error again but this time it said something about the drive being corrupt

i could get it but i dont want it.. i like 2000 and i want a server OS.. no matter how shitty 2000 is though there is still a problem here that cant just be because im running win2000.. u know what i meen.. i really need to find out what to do with these drives.. cause like i said i have maxtors hooked up also and they even have the OS on them and theres no problems with them

well, XP is as well server softwre, u'll get IIS enhanced in it, and it as well be fater than your machine on win2K.
I know transition from win2K is difficult, as I have used it quite a while and when XP came, i use to think i will never use XP, but used once, found it stable and lighter than any previous versions, now I must say that this is best O/S out of M/S after 98SE

it as well proved to be stable as once i newely built A7N8X-Deluxe and upgraded it with A7N8X (non-deluxe) BIOS in fault. win98 didnt booted up nr did 2K, and windows XP does, and as well ran quiet well until i came to know that the problem is BIOS.

well ill tihnk about using xp.. but this still doesnt solve my hard drive problems.. i gotta narrow this down so i can deside where to go from here.. trash the drives or no?

i jsut wanna know if a drive without physical problems but with a corrupt MFT can be repartitioned and reformatted back to normal again.. or if its not safe to use it anymore???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom