P4 650 Prescott too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettagl

Beta member
Hello,

I am new to the forum and have just built my new system which makes me have goosebumps to talk about it. I am very into video editing and gaming. I purchased the new Intel P4 650 with Disable Bit and 2M L2 cache. I assembled the heatsink with the factory pad on it. My BIOS said at idle speed my processor was about 50-52 deg C. I thought that was high even for a Prescott Core so called Asus and they said at idle it was too high so I got online and purchased Arctic Silver 5 heatsink compound. As per the directions I cleaned the old pad off very well and put a drop about the size of a grain of rice on the core and attached the heatsink. The heatsink is sitting nice and level on the processor but my temperatures have increased. I am now running 58-59 C at idle. Is a drop that small not enough for the prescott core? I know you cannot glob on too much but a grain of rice seemed a little to small to me. Can anyone offer some advice on what I should do. I am very anxious to get this straightened out so I can find my overclock sweet spot and get to editing and playing.

Asus P5AD2-E PREMIUM MOBO
Intel P4 650 3.4 Ghz 2MB L2 cache and Disable Bit
1 GB Corsair TWIN2X-5400 C4PRO
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
3 Western Digital Raptors @ 10,000 rpm in RAID 0
Maxtor 120GB Boot Drive
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case
old pci video card until I decide what PCI-e card I want to put in it.

Thanks for any advice

Lenny

Smear it on!

Buy a bigger fan. Get some case fans. Take the side of the case off and put a box fan next to it. Intels run very hot, one of the 123123198324 reasons i dont like them.

Did you hear that avid is going to aquire pinnacle? Life sucks =(

dude i agree with one of the thing senseless said. put da box fan on it. one of my dadz friend has a car fan in a pc lol 600 cfm+ lol

it takes a little time for the thermal compound to set, maybe after a week or so it'll settle

also, the thermal compound is only really designed to fill the very small gaps between the CPU and heatsink, since the manufacturers can't really get it 100% smooth

When i first bought my prescott, it was running about 45 IDLE.. got a zalman heatsink, as5, and ive got it down to about 38.. nothin to complain about there.

Mine idles at 50C with the stock heatsink. I tried overclocking it to 3.6ghz and do a suicide bench but it throttled half way through the bench mark and shut down.
Anyways I would look into getting an aftermarket cooler for your processor and put a little more fresh AS5 on there. I put more than a grain of rice. And I spread it out so that it was an even layer all the way across the top.
My favorite cooler is the Zalman 7700-Cu
http://www.xoxide.com/zalman-7700-cu-cpu-cooler.html

Oh and I can't help this. But for your pci-e video card I suggest you get the x850 xt platinum edition. :D

The instructions on that site that tells you how to put it on the CPU/Heatsink say to put a dot the size of a BB if the CPU has a heatspreader... And if it was a normal CPU without the heatspreader just to put a dot the size of a grain of rice.... Anyways one BB dot wasnt enough for me :p i put like 3 dots and then had a very good ammount on my cpu........

You need to smear a thin layer on with AS5 because it's too gooey and crap to just put a drop on and let it fly around.

First thing you need to do is make sure your heatsink is VERY CLEAN AND SMOOTH. This can be done with 2000 grit sandpaper if yours is not relitivaly smooth.

Than put AS5 nicely all over your CPU from the tube.

Take a ziplock back and wrap it around your finger so you have som e smooth plastic over your fingertip.

Spread the AS5 around with your finger. Once it's spread all the way around take a credit card and wipe off all the ascess. Only take 1 or 2 passes as you dont want to remove too much AS5 unless you can see yourself in your heatsink.

Intel stock cooling is notorious for being severly underpowered for the need. You can pick up a decent after-market HSF ofr $20+.

Go to NewEgg and read the reviews of several. Go on the web and look up some decent reviews on them. And, then, make an educated decision.

If just ask here, you'll get two dozen screaming recommendations, each claiming to be the best. Consider this as a forewarning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom