P-ATA HDs on my S-ATA Mobo - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default P-ATA HDs on my S-ATA Mobo

Hi all

This may qualify as a stupid question, but that's my specialty, it seems.

I want to add two P-ATA HDs to my computer. They are kicking around my house and I could use the extra storage in my new computer.

The new mobo is an Asus P4P800 with 2 S-ATA ports (currently filled) and two IDE ports (one is currently 1/2 filled by an optical drive).

I've made the physical power supply and IDE connections to the two HDs and connected the IDE to the mobo. But I get nothing, the OS doesn't recognize them, the BIOS config at bootup doesn't notice them.

I've read the mobo user manual regarding adding P-ATA devices, and I think I am following the instructions (though they are vague and confusing, so I may be wrong).

What am I doing wrong? OS is XP Professional. Thanks.
Closed Thread